Thread Rating:
  • 199 Votes - 2.88 Average
Non-English s-f & fantasy books with animal characters
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:50 AM
Non-English s-f & fantasy books with animal characters
Hello. I'm writing an article, and I hope that all of you can help me. I am trying to identify any non-English language science-fiction and fantasy novels for adults (no childrens' books) that have anthropomorphized animal characters in them; either artificially intelligent animals like David Brin's "uplifted" animals, or animal-like aliens like Anne McCaffrey's catlike Hrrubans and C. J. Cherryh's Hani. Does anyone know of any novels in Chinese or Indonesian or Japanese or Malay or Tagalog or Thai or any other non-English language?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 10:07 AM
RE: Non-English s-f & fantasy books with animal characters
(Fri Dec 02, 2011 06:50 AM)Fred Wrote:  Hello. I'm writing an article, and I hope that all of you can help me. I am trying to identify any non-English language science-fiction and fantasy novels for adults (no childrens' books) that have anthropomorphized animal characters in them; either artificially intelligent animals like David Brin's "uplifted" animals, or animal-like aliens like Anne McCaffrey's catlike Hrrubans and C. J. Cherryh's Hani. Does anyone know of any novels in Chinese or Indonesian or Japanese or Malay or Tagalog or Thai or any other non-English language?

Welcome to the forums, Fred.

Anthropomorphism is very much a Western concept passed on to this part of the world. When I was growing up, the only exposure to anthropomorphic characters was through children's storybooks or through cartoons on the television. Even the first few books that I did get (Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern") was at a local Borders store or through Amazon. Here, in Singapore, where English is the language of instruction, most of our material originates from the West.

Now, if you step outside the world of written text and into the world of graphic novels, you might stand a better chance. I, personally, don't read comics, but I know of shops dedicated to an entire library of these small books packed with illustrated stories. Without any visual representation of an anthropomorphised character, it was difficult for any one person on the street to visualise what an anthropomorphic character was. Comics and graphic novels would probably stand a better chance. However, we might have to ask around the community, which might take a while since many members are scattered across S.E.A.

What article are you writing about, if I so may ask?

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 05:26 PM
I am writing an article for Anthro http://www.anthrozine.com/ on s-f and fantasy novels for adults (no childrens' fiction or comic books) that feature arguably Furry characters, that are in non-English languages and that do not have American or British editions. American Furry fans share the same assumption that anthropomorphism is a Western concept, and most feel that all s-f & fantasy novels with intelligent animals or animal-like aliens are either American or British (with a few English-speaking exceptions like Australia, Canada, Ireland, and New Zealand). I am trying to find out if that assumption is correct. So far fans have identified quite a few foreign novels that have Furry characters, but they are all from other Western nations -- France, Germany, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, and Sweden. So I am asking in AnthroAsia if anyone knows of such novels in China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, or any other Asian nations. Actually, I don't think that there is much non-Western science-fiction at all, much less any with Furry characters.
Sat Dec 03, 2011, 10:26 PM
(Sat Dec 03, 2011 05:26 PM)Fred Wrote:  So I am asking in AnthroAsia if anyone knows of such novels in China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, or any other Asian nations. Actually, I don't think that there is much non-Western science-fiction at all, much less any with Furry characters.

The earliest form of Asian anthropomorphism (that I can think of) is the 16th Century Chinese novel "Journey to the West". It consists of two main anthropomorphic characters; a monkey and a pig. You can Google more about it, but it does set the theme of how folklore, culture and religion tie in closely with anthropomorphism.

It is a similar concept you might find in Asia, where zoomorphism can be found mainly in folklore and religion. Hinduism, for example, has deities in the form of a monkey (Hanuman) and an elephant (Ganesha). In Egypt, we see many animals taking on semi-human forms, like the crocodile (Sobek), jackal (Anubis) and a falcon (Horus). Even the story of "Journey to the West" is inspired by a combination of Chinese folk religion, mythology and various Chinese values.

The concept of anthropomorphism isn't new, but it is seeing a surge in application in fiction and/or movies.

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:22 AM
Dear Everyone, and especially Hollud;

It took longer than I expected to finish this, but here it is.

http://www.flayrah.com/4362/survey-foreign-furry-novels

Best wishes;

Fred
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 10:21 PM
Looking at the size of that article ... I'm surprised you had the willpower to see it to completion oO;

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What was/were the last book/books you have read? _snickers_ 9 5,210 Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:54 PM
Last Post: J.M. Tigerbomb
  Tonight on Channel 8 : Books, and the men who love them. nightPhaser 7 4,180 Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charles Lightpaw
  Final Fantasy 7 AC themes and soundtracks David Snow 0 1,116 Fri Feb 09, 2007 02:02 PM
Last Post: David Snow
  ANIMAL FARM gingertom84 5 2,917 Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:31 PM
Last Post: Renegade
  Looking for art books. nightPhaser 12 9,994 Tue Dec 19, 2006 05:59 PM
Last Post: nightPhaser
  The Human And The Animal Canis Enigmas 1 1,775 Tue Jun 27, 2006 04:25 PM
Last Post: nightPhaser