Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SG] DIY PC suggestions.
Wed Oct 05, 2011, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: Wed Oct 05, 2011 04:52 PM by fluffytora.)
[SG] DIY PC suggestions.
Hey all, everything going fine i hope.

I've been working on building a mid-tier DIY PC for the last 2 weeks and this is what i've come up with:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 ($300 ???)
Motherboard: P67 Asus P8P67-M Pro ($219)
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Super Overclock ($365 ???)
RAM: 2x 2GB Kingston HyperX ($75)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 32MB ($83)
PSU: CoolerMaster 550W Extreme Power V2.3 ($85)
Casing: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced ($139)
DVD drive: some cheapass SATA one after i realized my old one is IDE. (<$50)

Things I wanna say:
- i7-960 with Gigabyte X58A-UD3R was originally my choice but then i realized that the newer i7-2600 was better AND cheaper...

- I'm looking for a graphics card that is still relavant 3 years down the road so i picked the GTX 560 Ti. I'm still deciding between the aforementioned Gigabyte, the ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII TOP 1GB, and the Palit GTX 560 Ti Sonic 2GB. The Asus is an all-rounder, the Palit gives more bang for the buck with a 2GB buffer but 70celcius, and the Gigabyte for it's delicious 1GHZ!!!!! but higher PSU watt requirement.

- Kingston HyperX 4GB $75 or Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9 2x4GB $115 idunnorecommendplz

- I think i'm gonna have to get a PSU with more juice if I'm picking the Gigabyte graphics amirite? Maybe a 600-750W.

- I actually don't need to buy the OS cause i still have spare legit keys (dun ask how i got them....) and can just dl the OS straight from the MS page.

- I already have everything else like my screen, speakers, keyboard, mouse, blablabla...

- And last of all, i can't seem to find the prices of the CPU, and graphics card. I'm hoping to keep it under SGD$1200, but it seems i might go over. GOT LOBANG, PLS PM! =D

Comments and recommendations plz!! TYTYVM ppl!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 08:03 AM
RE: [SG] DIY PC suggestions.
If you're buying an Intel non-K (no overclock) version, don't bother getting HyperX RAM and just grab 8 GB ValueRAM for a much cheaper price.

Also take note the Palit 2 GB version is not clocked the same as the 1 GB Sonic version (The 2GB runs at standard clock of 822 versus 900, you need to manually OC it)... I am looking to pick up one of those soon since Caymen Islands is just announced and will be a short distance away.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 04:16 PM
haha, thanks for pointing that out, i had assumed the 2GB clocked the same... and i was planning to get the K since the price difference is around $20-30.
Thu Oct 06, 2011, 07:42 PM
Don't bother with these overpriced-"supposedly-high-end"-RAMs unless you're the type likely to over-clock your system with a bottle of liquid Hydrogen beside your table.

I don't think I've ever seen any benchmark where these RAMs have a significant enough increase of performance to justify its ridiculous pricing.

That $20-30 can add to you getting a bigger HDD to store your por ... stuff Tongue
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:07 AM
(Thu Oct 06, 2011 07:42 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  That $20-30 can add to you getting a bigger HDD to store your por ... stuff Tongue

I'm currently in the opinion that every cent you save should be invested in a mid range SSD... that is more of a system performer changer, although still very expensive and is on a downward spiral price wise.
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:40 AM
While i do agree that an SSD would produce the best performance change, a 60GB boot drive would cost around $180... and comparing that to the $80 HDD, it's pretty much out of the question.... at least, for now. I'd only consider buying one if a 60GB SSD dips below the $100 mark, and that would probably be in a couple more years time.
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: Fri Oct 07, 2011 01:44 AM by wonghusky.)
ohoh, awesome~ ^.^

Sorry... L_L' I've New PC V2... you look...
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5893558/
(Fri Oct 07, 2011 01:07 AM)DarkLurker Wrote:  
(Thu Oct 06, 2011 07:42 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  That $20-30 can add to you getting a bigger HDD to store your por ... stuff Tongue

I'm currently in the opinion that every cent you save should be invested in a mid range SSD... that is more of a system performer changer, although still very expensive and is on a downward spiral price wise.

I've New PC V2... L_L'
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5893558/

~Wing

Hi, I am Wing Wolf~ :-)
want X3 I am from Malaysia in Ipoh!

I like to very much good friend~ =3
Fri Oct 07, 2011, 11:35 PM
(Fri Oct 07, 2011 01:40 AM)fluffytora Wrote:  While i do agree that an SSD would produce the best performance change, a 60GB boot drive would cost around $180... and comparing that to the $80 HDD, it's pretty much out of the question.... at least, for now. I'd only consider buying one if a 60GB SSD dips below the $100 mark, and that would probably be in a couple more years time.
Do remember also that SSD performance levels also come at a price of lifespan. All flash memory based devices have a limited number of times it can write to memory. So if you use your SSD like a read-write cache or virtual memory drive, you may find it losing half its storage to "bad sectors" within a couple of years as the memory gets burnt out.
Sat Oct 08, 2011, 09:55 PM
(Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:35 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  Do remember also that SSD performance levels also come at a price of lifespan. All flash memory based devices have a limited number of times it can write to memory. So if you use your SSD like a read-write cache or virtual memory drive, you may find it losing half its storage to "bad sectors" within a couple of years as the memory gets burnt out.

It might be more cost effective to buy two 7200RPM drives and do a RAID 0 to get the most performance out of them. Then, with the extra money, spend it on another bigger capacity drive for all your backups.

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Mon Oct 10, 2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah, consumer level SSD does have significant drawbacks at this level, but worth consideration still.

If you are a heavy multimedia worker who needs stuff on immediately... check out the comparsion vid of HDD vs SSD (part of Tomshardware article). Not required for most common desktop use though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestions on buying digital camcorder J.M. Tigerbomb 5 3,804 Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:17 PM
Last Post: J.M. Tigerbomb