Thread Rating:
  • 194 Votes - 2.84 Average
Eurofurence 17 Kung Fur Hustle
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:43 PM
Eurofurence 17 Kung Fur Hustle
So for everyone who I haven't shown this to yet, Chinese TV reported on Eurofurence this year o.o

http://www.ntdtv.com/xtr/b5/2011/08/23/a...80%9D.html

Unlike last year, I really totally do intend to write a con report about it this year. I've got a lot more photos to show and hopefully that will give me the inspiration to write interesting things about the con! *wags*
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 12:38 AM
RE: Eurofurence 17 Kung Fur Hustle
ohoh... yeah~ 'XD

I've see TV8 in Malaysia~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FWGNy4DoUo

~Wing

Hi, I am Wing Wolf~ :-)
want X3 I am from Malaysia in Ipoh!

I like to very much good friend~ =3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:22 AM
(Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:38 AM)wonghusky Wrote:  ohoh... yeah~ 'XD

lmao nice!

Stuff on Vimeo

http://www.vimeo.com/user2603417
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 01:51 PM
(Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 AM)J.M. Tigerbomb Wrote:  
(Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:38 AM)wonghusky Wrote:  ohoh... yeah~ 'XD

lmao nice!

ohoh, Thank You~ 'X3
i like to very much~~~

~Wing

Hi, I am Wing Wolf~ :-)
want X3 I am from Malaysia in Ipoh!

I like to very much good friend~ =3
Thu Sep 01, 2011, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: Thu Sep 01, 2011 06:44 PM by Shaman.)
It is just so freaky to see it being reported in Asia ... ^.^
So the real con report!

A little overview of Eurofurence (EF) itself to start with. It was held this year, like last year, in Magdeburg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdeburg), at the Maritim hotel. The convention proper was from 17th Aug to the 21st, but I decided to take early arrival and late departure, effectively adding the Tuesday 16th and Monday 22nd to the convention. By this point, might as well take Monday 15th off as well and make a proper holiday of it! I got together with a few other UK furries and decided to use this time to be touristy in Berlin.

Right, so now that the itinerary has been explained, let me get on to the con report.

14th Aug - 16th Aug: Berlin

So while not strictly irrelevant to the con itself, feel free to read on if you are interested in what Berlin is like. Accompanying photos can be found at:

Our flight left the UK mid-afternoon on the 14th, so we didn’t get to our hotel until quite late in the evening. It doesn’t help that the Tegal airport (one of Berlin’s two airports) doesn’t seem to have any train links, so it was bus all the way to our hotel. On the other hand, hotel prices are (by European capitol city standards) pretty cheap, especially if you can book well in advance. Knowing German would have been an advantage, but you can definitely get by on English alone.

One of the first things that struck me about the place was how surprisingly gritty it is. I had imagined Germany as an ultra-industrialized, ultra-modern country, but Berlin itself is quite poor. Sure it has nice bits and not so nice bits, but as I was to learn the city is still suffering the consequences of the Berlin Wall (more on that later).

On the Monday morning, we went up the iconic TV tower. It affords great views of the city, but you have to get there early (before 10am, ideally by 9:30) in order to avoid the queues. Once up, it is quite interesting to detect the subtle change of style as you go from Communist Lego apartment blocks in East Berlin to the more sprawling, urbanized West Berlin. See if you can spot the change for yourself in the photos Tongue

In the afternoon we went a bit out of Berlin to an area called Spandau (using a group ticket that gave us all day travel in Berlin for 15 Euro for the 5 of us). There we visited the ancient Citadel, which was all rather … old. I left most of these photos out since I don’t have much to say about it, save this amazing Linotype they had on display in their Museum.

Upon coming back, we walking through the huge green park in the center of Berlin called Tiergarten. In the middle of this park is the Siegessäule, or Victory Column. You can actually pay a few euros to go up to the top, but it is 285 steps to the top! Not sure how worthwhile that was since we had already gone up the TV tower that day (although at least I managed to get a good shot of the Bundestag from there which alas, we did not get to visit). Then we continued through the park to the Brandenburg Gate, where I struggled to take photos of it against the setting sun -.- Also took the opportunity to photo the little green and red men that they use at crossings. So cute!

Tuesday was much more interesting. Some research on the Berlin wikitravel page pointed me to this “Alternative Berlin” tour: http://www.alternativeberlin.com/. Highly recommended if you want to get “under the skin” of the city. This wasn’t just “modern” history, it was practically current. Numerous times the guide started a sentence by saying “If you had been here last week you would have seen …”.

Berlin is, surprisingly, an imporverished city with high unemployment and little industry of its own. When the Berlin Wall came down many people fled from East to West Berlin (not knowing how long this freedom might last) leaving much of East Berlin a ghost town. Artists, anarchists, and those other outcasts of society, already attracted to the “alternative” reputation of Berlin, came to fill this vacuum and created an edginess that I think makes Berlin unique. It is an edginess that the Berlin authorities are trying to clean up now in an effort to attract more investment, and more upmarket shops, but I think it would be a shame if Berlin became another identikit city with yet another Ferrari, Apple or Gap store. Tacheles is one example of an artistic ghetto that is under threat of being demolished now that it is the property of the banks.

The tour started at 1pm, and was due to last for 3.5 hours. However, it actually lasted 4.5 hours, so we didn’t have much time to collect our luggage and catch the train to Magdeburg! (Again prebook your tickets for a cheaper price. They don’t have to be at a fixed time, unless you want to reserve seats).

16 Aug: Early Arrival

Now although for most people the default option would be to stay at the hotel, I chose to room with the Hungarian furs who were staying in the youth hostel next door (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qk...rectlink). It is significantly cheaper than staying at the hotel, and it is practically next door to the convention hotel. The rooms are actually pretty good, although I did find I was woken up pretty early in the mornings because the curtains are not thick and you can hear the church bells pretty clearly from the rooms.

The other thing I did immediately on arrival at the con was register. Registration is open for early arrivers, and registering on the Tuesday means avoiding a huge queue on the Wednesday when everybody else arrives. The rest of the night was spent relaxing, soaking up the con atmosphere, and catching up with everyone.

General con photos themselves can be found at:

17 Aug: Eurofurence Begins!

The con starts! While everyone else is queueing to register we go to the supermarket next door and stock up on supplies. Met loads of other furs there too. Lots of tasty chocolate based snacks and drinks aquired Smile Also took the opportunity to explore Magdeburg some more. Magdeburg photos can be found at:

Magdeburg is, at least the bits near the city centre, quite charming. That pink building is known as the gruene zitadelle or Green Citadel. While that sounds a bit odd, it is named such because of its rooftop gardens. Those are for residents only I think, but it still has lovely courtyard spaces inside that are well worth checking out. While walking around we also bumped into this year’s guest of honour Jim Martin, best known for his puppet performances on Sesame Street. He and his wife were being shown about by the irrepressible Pinky.

Dinner was then at a Greek restaurant next to the hotel, who was offering 10% discount for con-goers. The bill still came to 90 Euro for 5 of us, but the portains were huge and we did have have starters.

This was then followed by the “International Snack Exchange”. Where else could I go to try some dates from Saudi Arabia, sweet Japanese red bean paste things, and “herbal” cola. That was a really good idea actually since everyone decided to bring interesting foods, but very few thought to brink drinks to go with it. I had to flee after a while because I had gotten too thirsty. Compared to all this the UK contingent brought … jelly babies *facepaw* :/ Must to better UK!

Aug 18: Eurofuence Thursday

Since this year’s theme was “Kung Fur Hustle” it shouldn’t be surprising that there was a Qi Gong class taking place. Eurofurence has plenty of SIGs (or Special Interest Groups) scheduled throughout the con. Since I have started learning Tai Chi, I thought this seemed like an appropriate event to start my day.

If you had been a sponsor, this would have also been your opportunity to get into the Dealer’s Den without all the riff raff non-sponsors like me. That means getting the first opportunity to commission the many eager artists inside to draw in your sketchbook, make conbadges, and otherwise spend money. Non-sponsors get to enter the Dealers Den at 1pm, whereupon you can be certain a huge queue of furries would have already formed.

Rather than bother with all that, I opted to go for lunch out in the town. Food prices in the hotel are expensive, but that is not a problem when there are so many reasonably cheap places to eat nearby. This time we ended in a cafe overlooking the old town square.

Back at the con, I chill out for an hour of so playing Magic: The Gathering. I also visit the Dealer’s Den, since the queue has mostly disappeared by now, but unsurprisingly, most of the artist’s slots have been filled and I find nobody to commission *sadface*

The only other thing I am interested in going today is “Uncle Kage’s Story Hour”. If you are not familiar with the name, Uncle Kage is the Chairman of Anthrocon, and also a remarkably funny storyteller. His story hours are always entertaining, even if I suspect he embellishes is stories somewhat (damn worth the extra laughs I am sure!)

Finally I end the night in the Games Room. The Hungarians are keen to have a game of Chairmans, which we play utill about 2am when my roommate decides to call it a night. If he hadn’t done so, I could definitely have continued playing games way longer than that Tongue

Aug 19: Eurofurence Friday

Today the fursuiters have their group photo, so I go along and take a couple of snaps. The planned fursuit parade however is rained upon, quite literally, and had to be abandoned.

I decide to head over to the Art Show. I really should not, since I have nowhere to hang any of these pieces, but damn I didn’t get anything in my sketchbook and this year’s theme has produced some really excellent pieces. I eventually cave in and bid on 5 pieces, but I specifically decide not to go to the Art Show closing. This is the process by which final bids are placed on each piece, and I fully expected to be outbid in these last minute “sniper” bids.

Dinner was at a lovely Czech restraunt nearby that the Hungarians were raving about from last year, and yes the food was very good! No discount for con-goes though but well worth the money.

We made it back in time for “Bitter Lake” the premier of the fursuiter movie. It was better than expected actually. The voice actors did complement the fursuiters and the story pretty good (the “making of” movie explained how the voice recording was done first, and then acted by the fursuiters after). The fight scene was terrible, but apart from that it was very professionally put together.

I then spent the rest of the night, once again, in the Games Room (noticing a pattern here?). This time I did stay up later than my roommate, who I had to rudely wake up at 3am in order to let me in. We still got up at the same time though … x.x

Aug 20: Eurofurence Saturday

While the really popular pieces from the Art Show are fought over in the Art Auction, I decided to head out. It is the Christopher Street Day parade today (a LGB event) and a couple of furries want to take part. I tag along and take a few more photos:

I come back and hear that the top prices achieved in the Art Auction this year was 1100 Euros. Another piece went for 1000 Euros. As for myself, I check to see if I had won any of the Art Show pieces *gulp* I won 3! Including at least one piece that will not fit in my suitcase! That wasn’t supposed to happen! Well, a deal is a deal, so I go out to withdraw some cash and pay for my pieces (card not accepted unfortunately). Photos of the pieces can be found in my EF album at:

Love

I make it back just in time help host the “Acting Skills - Who’s Fur Is It Anyway?” sig with another UK fur. We did it last year and enjoyed it enough to bring it back, hopefully to be a regular feature of the con schedule from now on Smile I personally love improvisational games, and at a con of 1000, there are bound to be a few people who like “Who’s Line Is It Anyway?” We even get a couple of fursuiters, although it gets hard when they can’t really say anything. I must think of ways to deal with that for next year’s sig.

There isn’t much time to get food after the sig and before the annual Pawpets Show is supposed to start, so I am forced to get a burger from the Hotel. This is about the most worthwhile thing foodwise at the hotel, since although it is 9 Euro, it is huge! The show very traditionally starts late (in fact, there were far fewer delays in events this year compared to previous years) due to technical difficulties which Uncle Kage kept us informed about in the most amusing fashion. Just my luck though that as soon as I get my burger the door opens. I have never stuffed my food faster. Friends commented that I l resembled a hamster storing food in my cheeks when I took my seat. There was still a long period of waiting after that though before the show started -.-

The show itself was pretty good. They took the decision this year to introduce a completely new cast of characters. The pacing was pretty dynamic, even though long interludes between scene changes did sap away at that. It is very much the furry equivalent of a feel good movie I think; You go and watch it for the spectacle, and the happily-ever-after ending. It has just enough social commentary not to be shallow, but the plot is inevitably predictable.

Once again, I finish up at the games room, with a minor detour to the dance floor and some socializing at the Piano Bar in between. After all, it is the last night. Since I have late departure, there is no need for me to go to bed at a reasonable time, and I take advantage of this to the fullest. That means playing games until 6am, when we close up the games room (just a few hardcore gamers left at that point).

It is getting light by this point, but I don’t want to wake up my roommate, so I end up wandering the con, and I meet a fur from Saudi Arabia. He was the one who had brought dates to the International Snack Exchange. There are still a few madmen on the dance floor, but we decided to go out into Magdeburg again, and watch the sun rise. Nobody else is awake and the town is peaceful, but we did hear an alarm clock go off as we wandered our way around. It was a great way to get to know somebody who I had never met before the con started!

We got back around 7:30, and I decided to have breakfast. This took me to 8am when I finally decided it was time to go back to wake my roommate, and go to bed. I still got up at midday though …

Aug 20: Late Departure

A number of people are checking out, but I’m still hanging out with people. I make arrangements with someone I know is driving back to the UK about whether they can transport my rather large Hush piece back to the UK. He is part of the “Furball Run”, which is a convoy of UK motor-heads who apparently relish the though of driving endlessly over two days to get back to the UK!

The only other thing in today’s schedule is the Dead Dog Party, when all the EF organizers can relax. It’s a lot more intimate and informal, someone is playing various Disney songs on the grand piano, and we all enjoy the last of the con. I go to sleep very early this time, and expect my roommate to wake me when he gets in. As a matter of fact, he couldn’t wake me up so he had to get the spare key from reception. Go go super sleep powers!

Aug 21: The Day After The Night Before

The youth hostel regulations say that you are supposed to check out by 10am. We’re actually slightly late, about 10:15 but that doesn’t seem to be a problem. The Hungarians pack up to go home, and I meet up with my other travel buddies. If anything there seems to be more people leaving today than yesterday!

Our flight isn’t until quite late, but rather than wait around and see everybody go, we take another walk around Madgeburg, this time to the Island in the river that runs right through the town. We find a pleasant beer garden to rest a while, and when it is time head back. When we get back the Hotel is completely different, deserted even, and it is with fond memories that we leave to go back to the UK.

THE END !!! (whew)
Fri Sep 02, 2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the con report, it sounds like a lot of fun and you got quite a bit of a nice trip at Berlin too while you're at it! Smile
Fri Sep 02, 2011, 03:05 PM
Indeed Smile EF is always fun; So much so, that Uncle Kage even brings his parents to EF o.o;
Tue Sep 06, 2011, 10:26 PM
(Fri Sep 02, 2011 03:05 PM)Shaman Wrote:  Indeed Smile EF is always fun; So much so, that Uncle Kage even brings his parents to EF o.o;

He puts his parents to "work" at AC too lol, I bumped into them manning the AC payment booths. XD

But it is all in good volunteer fun and their parents are cool with furries!
Thu Sep 08, 2011, 04:48 PM
Parents being cool with furries. What is the world coming to! Winking

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eurofurence 2010: The Serengeti Shaman 2 2,355 Thu Jul 22, 2010 08:34 PM
Last Post: DarkLurker
  Survived Eurofurence. loupgarou 10 6,051 Fri Oct 09, 2009 08:37 AM