Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recommend me some Anti-spyware & PC optimization apps!
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 05:34 PM
RE: Recommend me some Anti-spyware & PC optimization apps!
(Fri Aug 12, 2011 09:00 AM)Hollud Wrote:  Back in the days when anti-virus used to cost a bomb... *sigh*
Not entirely true. Back then it costs a few hundreds for one, but you could still keep using them for a couple of years with free lifetime updates of virus definitions and programs.
Nowadays, its cheaper, but you're only paying for one year subscription to their updates, after which the antivirus is completely useless without them :/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
(Fri Aug 12, 2011 05:34 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  
(Fri Aug 12, 2011 09:00 AM)Hollud Wrote:  Back in the days when anti-virus used to cost a bomb... *sigh*
Not entirely true. Back then it costs a few hundreds for one, but you could still keep using them for a couple of years with free lifetime updates of virus definitions and programs.

Or until they changed versions. Then you had to "upgrade". Definitions were still free (until they discontinued the files for your particular version).

Oh, those were the days.

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
(Fri Aug 12, 2011 01:43 AM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  
(Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:58 PM)Katsuke Wrote:  Well..my PC is tough enough to run a few, I don't bother as long as they don't interfere with my games like how some Anti-viruses do lol.
You should never run more than one antivirus on your system.
Reason for this is that antivirus software (at least the good ones) uses heuristic algorithms to detect new or yet-unknown viruses in your system by monitoring each program's behaviour and activities. The irony here is, all antivirus software themselves have the same behaviour and heuristic signature as the viruses they are meant to stop: scanning system wide settings, manipulating files on at a deep level, interfering with many system processes (including file-copying, running programs, memory management), etc.

The solution to the developers here is to give the antivirus program a library of what programs and processes are its own and to prevent it from trying to destroy itself in the mistaken belief that its some unknown virus. However this library certainly won't include the designs and signatures of competing products, now would they?

As for my recommendation, Norton has never failed me once. Although lately their software has questionable ethics by spamming your system when the yearly subscription runs out :/

Oh ok~ That's good then, will stick to one.

[Image: 55980081.png]
[Image: KatSteamSig_FF.gif]

« Got a Steam ID? Join our Singapore + Malaysia Gamer Furs Group ! »
Find all posts by this user
Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
(Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 AM)Hollud Wrote:  Or until they changed versions. Then you had to "upgrade". Definitions were still free (until they discontinued the files for your particular version).
Not for Norton who have been using standardized virus definition files since the late 90s.
Still using Norton Antivirus 2005 on my netbook here. Just only need to reformat it every year and it resets the 1 year counter on my system.
Wheeee, free (pirated) definitions FTW! Tongue
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:17 AM
Auslogics disk defrag

Defrag + Optimize sector locations for faster boot times. I've been using that for 2 years now, never had a problem with it. Winking

Sun Aug 14, 2011, 08:35 PM
(Sun Aug 14, 2011 09:17 AM)Krado Wrote:  Auslogics disk defrag

Another resident geek-motorhead giving his opposable thumbs up!

OT: The lion lives! 'ello!

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Fri Aug 26, 2011, 02:19 PM
Just use AVG Anti Virus Free 2011 or Avast free antivirus. Or Ad-Aware free internet security 9.0...
It's just about the best as free antiviruses can get.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anti Antivirus!?(Problem) lightning64 9 3,171 Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:15 PM
Last Post: lightning64
  what spyware scanner you using? DracoWong 6 2,263 Wed May 18, 2005 06:23 AM
Last Post: Hollud