Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recommend me some Anti-spyware & PC optimization apps!
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: Wed Aug 10, 2011 01:45 PM by Katsuke.)
Recommend me some Anti-spyware & PC optimization apps!
Getting infected by a computer virus and having to reformat is ALWAYS a bitch!

So I do my best to make sure my computer is clean and spyware/virus free at all times... I would run scans/defrags/registry cleaners every single time I leave the computer idling.

Which is why my own desktop PC has never been infected so badly to the point I would have to format or stuff before...
However I find that I'm kinda lacking the right applications for the job though. Still feel abit..unsafe.

Here's what I have so far :
Antivirus : Avast
Anti-spyware : Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy
Optimizations : Windows Defrag, TuneUp Utilities (One-click Maintenance)

Anyone can suggest any better applications...preferably free?
(To save me the trouble from finding a crack and all, lawl.)

[Image: 55980081.png]
[Image: KatSteamSig_FF.gif]

« Got a Steam ID? Join our Singapore + Malaysia Gamer Furs Group ! »
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
RE: Recommend me some Anti-spyware & PC optimization apps!
I used to bother with these anti virus once upon a time. Later I find that these anti virus is placing a significant burden on my processor and internet connection. I keep the habit of periodically moving my downloaded goodies to external devices and run a single light-weighted anti virus, just for a peace of mind.

Two birds with a single stone, with less data on the HD, the boot time is relatively better than when I ran multiple antiviri. Noted that during both, cleaning up registry, defrags, junk files are done periodically.

Have you encountered any problem with your antivirus line-up ? From a non-geek point of view like mine, I would suggest you might better want to back-up your files, minimizing the loss if it would ever happen that you need to format the HD since last I checked Avast is still among the top free Antivirus out there.

Lurking, and pretty much so.
Should you not understand my words, let me have the luxury of understanding yours.
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
(Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:53 PM)Eternal_Flare Wrote:  I used to bother with these anti virus once upon a time. Later I find that these anti virus is placing a significant burden on my processor and internet connection. I keep the habit of periodically moving my downloaded goodies to external devices and run a single light-weighted anti virus, just for a peace of mind.

Two birds with a single stone, with less data on the HD, the boot time is relatively better than when I ran multiple antiviri. Noted that during both, cleaning up registry, defrags, junk files are done periodically.

Have you encountered any problem with your antivirus line-up ? From a non-geek point of view like mine, I would suggest you might better want to back-up your files, minimizing the loss if it would ever happen that you need to format the HD since last I checked Avast is still among the top free Antivirus out there.

Well..my PC is tough enough to run a few, I don't bother as long as they don't interfere with my games like how some Anti-viruses do lol.

Mmm..Nope. No problems, but I just wanna be sure to keep the PC healthy and optimized anyway. And Backing up is a definite yes in my line - I do that already so ya thanks. xD

Wed Aug 10, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm unsure of what apps are good to use, but maybe AVG could be of help? (I never tried other Anti-viruses ><)

Although AVG might have a chance of interfering with your games, it interfered with my Blackshot last time (Fixed now though)

Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life!
When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
[Image: 76561198017344342.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 05:37 PM
(Wed Aug 10, 2011 05:08 PM)WolfKazuki Wrote:  I'm unsure of what apps are good to use, but maybe AVG could be of help? (I never tried other Anti-viruses ><)

Although AVG might have a chance of interfering with your games, it interfered with my Blackshot last time (Fixed now though)

Yeah that's why I stopped AVG. xD

Thu Aug 11, 2011, 01:26 AM
The Horse's recommendation:

Anti-virus
I use Microsoft Security Essentials for daily protection, given that it is free and lightweight.

Defrag
I recently starting deploying Auslogics Disk Defrag given that it has better performance compared to the stock Defrag utility in Windows. I also like the fact that defragmentation can be set to take place automatically when the computer is idle. The automatic shut down function is also useful, especially if I want defragmentation to take place when I head to bed. Furthermore, it's free.

Utilities
A common favourite among tech-heads would be Piriform's CCleaner. Again, clean interface and easy-to-use.

I also take advantage of Piriform's Speccy to keep an eye on my internals and the provision of useful information about the inside of my computer.

On some of my computers, I have Soluto installed to monitor boot-up performance and, if need be, stagger the launching of applications to further boost boot-up times.

TeamViewer allows me a remote connection to the other computers under my care so that I can perform troubleshooting without leaving my computer.

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:44 PM by Katsuke.)
(Thu Aug 11, 2011 01:26 AM)Hollud Wrote:  The Horse's recommendation:

Anti-virus
I use Microsoft Security Essentials for daily protection, given that it is free and lightweight.

Defrag
I recently starting deploying Auslogics Disk Defrag given that it has better performance compared to the stock Defrag utility in Windows. I also like the fact that defragmentation can be set to take place automatically when the computer is idle. The automatic shut down function is also useful, especially if I want defragmentation to take place when I head to bed. Furthermore, it's free.

Utilities
A common favourite among tech-heads would be Piriform's CCleaner. Again, clean interface and easy-to-use.

I also take advantage of Piriform's Speccy to keep an eye on my internals and the provision of useful information about the inside of my computer.

On some of my computers, I have Soluto installed to monitor boot-up performance and, if need be, stagger the launching of applications to further boost boot-up times.

TeamViewer allows me a remote connection to the other computers under my care so that I can perform troubleshooting without leaving my computer.

I'll try the Auslogics Disk Defrag. Thanks! Smile

Thu Aug 11, 2011, 02:48 PM
The Horse would also like to recommend that users of anti-virus applications just settle on one, and not a few instances running at one time. Unless you have a SSD for your hard disk, tons of gigabytes of RAM and a speedy CPU, one is enough. Most of us don't have super-duper speedy machines, so settling on a compromise is your best bet to balance performance and protection.

Also, The Horse would like to re-emphasise the need for common (tech) sense when browsing the Internet. See a shady link promising something that is probably too good to be true? Don't click it. As the old adage "prevention is better than cure" goes, education about web practices compliments the present abilities of our anti-virus/anti-spyware suites.

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: Fri Aug 12, 2011 01:45 AM by Canis Enigmas.)
(Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:58 PM)Katsuke Wrote:  Well..my PC is tough enough to run a few, I don't bother as long as they don't interfere with my games like how some Anti-viruses do lol.
You should never run more than one antivirus on your system.
Reason for this is that antivirus software (at least the good ones) uses heuristic algorithms to detect new or yet-unknown viruses in your system by monitoring each program's behaviour and activities. The irony here is, all antivirus software themselves have the same behaviour and heuristic signature as the viruses they are meant to stop: scanning system wide settings, manipulating files on at a deep level, interfering with many system processes (including file-copying, running programs, memory management), etc.

The solution to the developers here is to give the antivirus program a library of what programs and processes are its own and to prevent it from trying to destroy itself in the mistaken belief that its some unknown virus. However this library certainly won't include the designs and signatures of competing products, now would they?

As for my recommendation, Norton has never failed me once. Although lately their software has questionable ethics by spamming your system when the yearly subscription runs out :/
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 09:00 AM
(Fri Aug 12, 2011 01:43 AM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  As for my recommendation, Norton has never failed me once. Although lately their software has questionable ethics by spamming your system when the yearly subscription runs out :/

Well, at least Norton (now) is affordable.

Back in the days when anti-virus used to cost a bomb... *sigh*

Hollud. Simply, horse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anti Antivirus!?(Problem) lightning64 9 4,129 Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:15 PM
Last Post: lightning64
  what spyware scanner you using? DracoWong 6 2,958 Wed May 18, 2005 06:23 AM
Last Post: Hollud