Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 08:07 PM
Facebook
I'm sure most of us have them, some of us are addicted to them, and do ya know that Malaysia has more than 10 million Facebook users, and ranked 16'th in the world. Anyways, like most of us, I have Facebook too, but I don't use it much, cuz I'm afraid that Facebook is compromising privacy, revealing your real name, age and IRL picture, and more online. But what do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 10:10 PM
RE: Facebook
I think that Facebook is just a way you can use to communicate with another person. It's a Social Media. The whole point of social media is to share your ideas, thoughts, or anything you want to share. This is what most of the people in the world likes to do now. It's an very easy and effective way to spread an information.
You gotta admit that some people were saved by facebook (got robbed and lost somewhere), animal causes were brought up (and the huge online community worked together to find out the criminal), important news were spread quickly (faster than TV, TV was faster than Newspaper).

However, the addiction of facebook comes in when you have updates to read frequently and also the small applications/games. It's the worst in the games. It requires you to go take care of your farm/garden/city/ship/restaurant/others almost everyday. And being a game that you can connect to your friend and compete with each other, that caused more addiction. And then, there's peer pressure that drag more people into the addictions. I was addicted to the games at some point, until one day, I decided to ditch them, so that I could focus on my final project. Clicking delete for every single game.
In my opinion, the applications are just ways that some organization gain money out of it. See those credits that you need to buy? Those are money-making opportunities for them. And also those advertisement at the side.

I think Facebook is meant to a way for people to connect and communicate with each other more. It quickly becoming a way for the people to start business on it since it's gaining popularity and more and more usage on the site. And people starts abusing it since it's free.

About privacy issues, I guess everyone need to be sure what they want to give out the information or not. Everyone has to judge themselves. Is it ok to post up this pic up? or Is it ok to inform everyone that you're going somewhere? All these are the choices you have to make and think twice before you do it. No one can protect you yourself in the cyber world except yourself. As for me, I'm ok with putting up my real pics, what I do, and so on. Since I'm a musician, it would be better for my career if I could advertise myself a bit more. But of course, I'm not going to put up security related stuffs (eg. bank account, IC no., pin no., etc.). Learn to judge and protect yourself is an important skills to acquire in the cyberspace. You dont want to fall for a fraud.

Lastly, everyone has a choice to use Facebook or not or how much they use it. It's free and it's your freedom to use it correctly. With new medias, new cultures always appears.

*sign*
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Mon Jun 06, 2011, 12:08 AM
RE: Facebook
Facebook is like the neighbourhood mamak warung set up against the side of a grimy street next to an old office building: The place is messy, the seats are awful, the waiters fudge your orders (when they're not busy forgetting to clean up your table), your food is cold (when it's not destroying your body), it's always busy full of people making all sorts of noises, there are people trying to sell you everything possible or get you into questionable schemes, they keep adding dishes to the menu that they can't even cook right (wtf is roti helikopter krismas), etc.

But you still go there anyway, because everyone is just there for some inexplicable reason. They do put habit-forming substances into the food. Also, some people (no names, no matter how tempted I am) only hang out there and never turn up at the nice, clean cafe with plush sofas just around the corner, or pop into a place that serves a better selection of decent food.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user