Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Portable Harddisk Not Detected
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
Portable Harddisk Not Detected
Hey guys~ Just having an issue here.

My external harddisk can't seem to be detected by my CPU, not even Device Management, even though the LED was lit. I Google'd the issue and did alot of stuff.

-Tried all USB ports, all USB ports are in working condition.
-All cables are in working condition
-Hard disk itself is in working condition (Detected by another laptop)

Running on Core i7, Windows 7 32bit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life!
When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
[Image: 76561198017344342.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:43 PM
RE: Portable Harddisk Not Detected
I had a same problem before, but it fixed after I formatted my computed

When people meets, there's something taken, and something being left behind. what that left is called "link", and that wouldn't easily fade away, not even with time passes, nor how long the journey itself.
Find all posts by this user
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds to me like a cable issue above others.

Before we get to Ray's last option suggestion, have you tried connecting the external HD with another USB cable instead?

-- Delta-HT
[AnthroAsia.com administrator]
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 01:07 AM
It maybe a Windows driver glitch.

To confirm this, grab one of the linux Live distros (try ubuntu), boot into it, and then connect your USB hard disk to it.

If it detects it in ubuntu, do a cold reboot and try again in Windows. If it doesn't pop up in Windows, there's probably some driver mis-installation skulduggery that needs to be fixed.
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:08 PM
Have you attached any new HDDs to your system or tried to configure your "Drive Letters" lately?

In your "Computer Management" window, if you have two drives that have been set to the same letter in your Storage/Disk Management configuration, one will only appear.

Do a system restart or unplug or power down any USB hubs or devices. Sometimes these USB chips can get cranky and refuse to identify new devices attached until they get a full reset.
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:31 AM by Kazuki.)
@Delta, yea, I tried other USB cables. Nothing
@DL, I don't really know how to do that ^^"
@Canis, I think I tried all that...

Gahhh, it can be detected in other computers, but just not this cpu of mine...

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:03 PM
(Thu Jun 02, 2011 07:31 PM)WolfKazuki Wrote:  Gahhh, it can be detected in other computers, but just now this cpu of mine...

Chances are, Windows may have decided to go on strike.

How old is your portable hard disk?

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 09:04 PM
If you've really tried all that, then it would mean its not a physical failure but software: the driver file being used in your Windows is corrupted. You'll need to first plug your HDD into another similar system, then check through Driver Manager what is the driver .DLL file that is being used for this device, then copy it over to your system. You may need to run the windows DLL unregister - register process to do this.
Sat Jun 04, 2011, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 AM by Kazuki.)
@Hollud, not that old, relatively new

@Canis, Trying that now

EDIT, found only USBSTOR.sys under driver details, no DLL files. Am I missing out something? Worried

Sat Jun 04, 2011, 10:25 PM
You can try these:

- Go to the harddisk manufacturers' website, download driver, install and override, then retry.

- This happened once in my office, where I had a USB fan plugged in. There's not enough power to run both the fan and my thumbdrive at the same time. So, you could try unplugging all other USB devices and try again.

- Or since your harddisk is relatively new (I assume you don't have a lot of stuff inside), you can transfer out whatever stuff is in there into a temporary folder in your HDD before reformatting it.

- If all else fails, it's time to give Customer Service a call...

hope it helps.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The next portable media player into the fray Canis Enigmas 11 4,771 Tue Oct 06, 2009 09:20 PM
Last Post: Hollud