Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Portal 2
Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:37 PM by Zi Firepaw.)
RE: Portal 2
so............... u look at yourself and do a yeah.avi and see what happens to chell xDD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:28 PM by nightPhaser.)
RE: Portal 2
It’s pretty good, basically checks off all the marks it was aiming for. Glad to see the black humour (though a lot less subtle and sometimes downright silly than the first) and puzzle-heavy aspects retained. I appreciate how it was genuinely hard in some places, too. LOL!

If anything, I would recommended it for the sweet aesthetics, which run the gamut from superclean (with some wear-and-tear) superscience to steel-and-bolts technology mill. Personally took a lot longer to finish than most run-and-gun players, because I spent much of the game admiring the sheer acrophobic scale of the environments. (A slight whiff of things like Canadian SF-horror flick, Cube. Also some possible models for the X-Men’s Danger Room.) Even when you go close up, you can sort of feel an inner dorky engineer squealing at the filament-tubed predecessor of the switch-conduit trail lights, or the Supercolliding Superbutton’s squeaky grandpa.

It's also an excellent example of nigh-wordless storytelling. You learn a lot more about Aperture Science over the years from examining your surroundings than reading a block of text stowed away in a menu. (A couple of popular wordy-gurdy game developers could learn a few things from it. Thinking )

The voice acting is very charming, the music varied and distinct enough but not faux-emotional intrusive, several moments have you question the dev’s blatant meme-baiting, and loading screens feel utterly alien after the first’s lift-based time outs.

Can't speak much on the Co-op mode, because I haven't tried it out.

Setting aside the Apple/Microsoft satire bubbling underneath its surface, dedicated Valvers should be aware of the little tie-ins into Half-Life, too? Assuming anybody's still interested in Half-Life.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply