Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Portal 2
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: Sun Apr 24, 2011 04:37 PM by GammaOhFiveTwo.)
Portal 2
Yes, yes. I know nearly everyone has this game, but I feel it prudent to have a re-
Photobucket
What the-
Never mind. Here goes my crappy and lame attempt to inject humor into a review.

GAMEPLAY:
Okay, class, we will be learning to calculate terminal vel- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH~
Yes, infinite loop. There's really not much to say here, it's a lot like the first portal, except with some new gameplay elements. Such as blue and orange cu- I mean lub- i mean gel. And the zoom feature, allowing for more precise portalling.

IMMA FIRING MAH LAZ-

There are around 15 chapters in the game, offering more than 5 hours of gameplay (I think) The variety of test equipment has increased, offering more ways to achieve... Stuff.

Overall, gameplay remains simple (Speedy thing go in, speedy thing come out~) and so does the HUD, but the levels grow ever more frustrating. Which is a good thing. However, some levels are a bit more confusing than I would like, but I guess that's just me.

STORY:
Interesting, interesting, from what I can see so far. Twists, quite some humor, and British AI. What's not to love? The transitions between environment looks good as well.

Characters are allowed time to develop, and throughout the story, their true personality is revealed (Even GLaDOS, that b*tch!)

However, there is a morale to this madness, like what happens when you let a bloody idiot get in charge of a whole organization. Sorry, no offense, Mr. Bush!

GRAPHICS:
Keep a dustbin beside you, because Portal 2 is goin' 3D!

Graphics, very pretty. Especially in 3D. A much more grittier feel than the first game. They revisited some of the older effects, such as 'unauthorized test objects' getting emancipated. Tongue

Although Portal is meant to be set in a 21st century lab, it takes you through many eras and configurations of it, such as post-apocalyptic, 19th century, and, of course, modern.

UI is very simplistic, and only a complete idiot will get lost.

CONTROLS:
Smooth, like the first Portal. Offers multiple control configurations, like other games. Easy to get used to. Yes, that is all. If you've played the first Portal, this will be the same.

No matter how much I tweak the sensitivity, however, there's always an off chance I miss, as insane velocity can't do shit to help your aiming.

OVERALL: 9.5/10
Nice game, bloody good sequel to Portal the first. Nice story, characters and new gameplay elements, although gameplay lacks variety, which is kind of what I look for in a game. It is almost ENTIRELY focused on the whole 'Whee I'm going through a portal' thing.

HOWEVER. There is combat, and it certainly spices up the game's general atmosphere. However unconventional, combat is still combat. And you get the epic final boss battle as well.

Oh, and the ending scene is all you need to prove Valve did a good job. I feel for the fact that there's no more Portal games. And the epicness. Singing turrets are a really good way to send off the Portal series (And possibly Chell, too)

Somehow, this game feels more like a Triple-A game than it's predecessor. I can't explain it, but the previous Portal just... Didn't.

So, that's just about it for my lame review.

100% hyper, 100% of the time.
[Image: mca.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
RE: Portal 2
(Sat Apr 23, 2011 02:28 PM)GammaOhFiveTwo Wrote:  Somehow, this game feels more like a Triple-A game than it's predecessor. I can't explain it, but the previous Portal just... Didn't.

The first Portal was originally just an experimental add-on for The Orange Box because Valve couldn't be sure if the game could financially stand on its feet. So the massive hit was a surprise to them as well.

So, did your Xbox version of Portal 2 allow you to redeem a free Steam copy? Or is this purely limited to the PS3 copy?

-- Delta-HT
[AnthroAsia.com administrator]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
-fires portal on the ceiling above me-
hmm..
-fires portal below my feet-
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.............
(10 hours later)
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 05:49 PM
*doesn't own a console*

*doesn't even own a PC that's good enough to support Portal*

*didn't even play portal one*

CryingCryingCrying
*cries in the corner*
CryingCryingCrying
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 06:40 PM
(Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:12 PM)Delta-HT Wrote:  So, did your Xbox version of Portal 2 allow you to redeem a free Steam copy? Or is this purely limited to the PS3 copy?

Umm... No, actually. Note that someone in Valve (God, I'm ignorant about video games.) said that they were making the PS3 version the 'best console version of the game ever'.

Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
(Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:49 PM)Krudger Wrote:  *doesn't own a console*

*doesn't even own a PC that's good enough to support Portal*

*didn't even play portal one*

CryingCryingCrying
*cries in the corner*
CryingCryingCrying
Like we discussed in a different topic, building a computer costs only a fraction of a ready-made gaming computer, and you can always go torrent the games Tongue
If it makes you feel any better, I played my Portal the first on a Mac, and Black Ops, and Assassin's Creed, and *rambles off long list of games*

Sat Apr 23, 2011, 10:11 PM
*did not play portal 2*

*played portal 1 for 30 min at lan centre*

*sits with krudger at the corner, patting his back*
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 10:38 PM
(Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:14 PM)Zi firepaw Wrote:  -fires portal on the ceiling above me-
hmm..
-fires portal below my feet-
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.............
(10 hours later)
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The funny thing is there's a Steam achievement for that: Terminal Velocity

(Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:49 PM)Krudger Wrote:  *didn't even play portal one*

Well sometime around June last year they had a 2 week promotion where you could "buy" Portal 1 for free. It's been on promotion very frequently since then (anywhere from US$2~ to free extra copies from Portal 2 pre-order), and I'm kinda confident that you can get someone to gift you that game on Steam.

-- Delta-HT
[AnthroAsia.com administrator]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 11:11 PM
(Sat Apr 23, 2011 09:53 PM)GammaOhFiveTwo Wrote:  Like we discussed in a different topic, building a computer costs only a fraction of a ready-made gaming computer, and you can always go torrent the games Tongue

I know what to purchase to get a well buffed computer. I'm just to stingy to do so. Tongue

*pats his Core 2 duo laptop that has absolutely no graphic capabilities*
Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:36 PM by Katsuke.)
Aww.. Xbox 360 version.. )=
I don't have anything against console gamers - but the 360 and PS3 version of Portal 2 is really limited. Frown
PC version has like features for co-op like hats, custom levels and even custom gesture animations!

Like here, note the message below in the screenshot :
[Image: ca445b129492859.jpg]

[Image: 9a371a129492874.jpg]

Oh and..apparently PC users can play with PS3 ones. But....not 360. Guess there were some issues limiting Valve from putting everything into console versions.

Well apart from that, I must say the game is amazing.

The Singleplayer story is awesome. I softened up at the ending, it was so sweet! T_T

The Co-op though, I hope will last a while as..most of my buddies I play with can ace the puzzles coz they've been playing the same puzzles over and over. Valve will be releasing more levels for it though, but you will also be able to download puzzles that will be made by other users. So hopefully that'll keep the lifespan of the game going!

...Oh, and uh..PC version is linked to Team Fortress 2..So if you have a hat in Team Fortress 2, you can wear it on your bot in Portal 2 as well. =I
Valve shocked and surprised me with that - was certainly a "WTF" all over the forums. xD

[Image: 55980081.png]
[Image: KatSteamSig_FF.gif]

« Got a Steam ID? Join our Singapore + Malaysia Gamer Furs Group ! »