Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Custom building your own PC's for beginners? c:
Wed May 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
RE: Custom building your own PC's for beginners? c:
(Thu May 19, 2011 08:50 PM)Hollud Wrote:  
(Wed May 18, 2011 10:14 PM)Xynder Valcien Wrote:  Decent SSDs are now cheap enough for most people to use SSDs as boot drives. Unfortunately, I don't have space for two drives in my system so I have to make do with a measly 60GB for everything on my laptop sans portable hard drive. If you have the dough and everything else in the rig looks a-ok then I highly recommend an SSD.

Another slightly more affordable option exists in the form of the Seagate Momentus XT. It combines a 7200 RPM 500GB hard disk with a 4GB SSD cache buffer. There is a drive-level algorithm that detects the most frequently used files and caches them to the SSD portion of the drive, allowing for speedy access. You can check out Momentus XT demos on YouTube for an example as a visual reference.

I would get one, but it is a little more pricey for its size (about double the price for an equivalent 500GB 7200 RPM drive, last I checked).

Yes, the Momentus XT looks good on paper, but I wouldn't touch anything made by Seagate. Reliability issues.

That, and the Momentus XT wouldn't be recommended for people who treat their laptops roughly. It's still disk-based media for the most part.

Classified Data: Personnel Records
#247A
Valcien, Xynder
Division: 24th Special Infantry
Species: Northern Sergal
Eye colour: Green (Left) Red (Right)
Fur colour: Black / White
#247B
Species: Arctic Wolf-Nightfire Dragon hybrid (An Arctic Night Drolf, if you will)
Eye colour: Red (Left) Green (Right)
Fur colour: White / Black

Weapons of choice: High-caliber pistols, Heavy Rifles, Shotguns

[Image: 76561197995964009.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wed May 25, 2011, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 PM by Canis Enigmas.)
(Wed May 25, 2011 07:44 PM)Xynder Valcien Wrote:  but I wouldn't touch anything made by Seagate. Reliability issues.
This I find rather mind plexing. Why are there people so adamant that Seagate is unreliable?

Of the 30 over Seagate HDD's I've had and bought for friends in my past ... only 3 failed ... and 2 those that failed were within the warranty period which I would get a free replacement from them. And some of those old 40GB HDDs I have are still humming fine to this day.

I do recall also a few years back, all the major HDD manufacturers made an agreement among each other to reduce the industry standard warranty period to 2-3 years. Seagate was the only one that refused to comply and kept providing 5 years warranty on all their products.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thu May 26, 2011, 09:44 AM
(Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  
(Wed May 25, 2011 07:44 PM)Xynder Valcien Wrote:  but I wouldn't touch anything made by Seagate. Reliability issues.
This I find rather mind plexing. Why are there people so adamant that Seagate is unreliable?

Of the 30 over Seagate HDD's I've had and bought for friends in my past ... only 3 failed ... and 2 those that failed were within the warranty period which I would get a free replacement from them. And some of those old 40GB HDDs I have are still humming fine to this day.

I do recall also a few years back, all the major HDD manufacturers made an agreement among each other to reduce the industry standard warranty period to 2-3 years. Seagate was the only one that refused to comply and kept providing 5 years warranty on all their products.

Of the 7 newer gen Barracuda drives, 5 have died. One of them was a 7200.11, which we all know was terrible, but the rest were 7200.10s and 7200.12s. I'm not touching them again, their QC used to be good but now it's crap.

Classified Data: Personnel Records
#247A
Valcien, Xynder
Division: 24th Special Infantry
Species: Northern Sergal
Eye colour: Green (Left) Red (Right)
Fur colour: Black / White
#247B
Species: Arctic Wolf-Nightfire Dragon hybrid (An Arctic Night Drolf, if you will)
Eye colour: Red (Left) Green (Right)
Fur colour: White / Black

Weapons of choice: High-caliber pistols, Heavy Rifles, Shotguns

[Image: 76561197995964009.png]
Find all posts by this user