Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Custom building your own PC's for beginners? c:
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: Tue Apr 12, 2011 01:22 AM by Krado.)
RE: Custom building your own PC's for beginners? c:
(Mon Apr 11, 2011 05:17 PM)lightning64 Wrote:  -Do casings have something of importance other than being pretty?
-Sound cards seem default...
-What is the purpose of a processor itself... and its differences from each other...
-When looking at numbers(1gb of video card, 4GB of ram) are they the ones REALLY counting...?
-There are other slots in the motherboard that isnt been using... what are those components missing....?
-Ermmm... monitors....
-Bigger numbers? 500 watts... or 1k watts of voltage... why am i picking?

Casings: Good ones keep everything cool. Better ones isolate noise and vibration. Bad ones just keep everything in one place.

Onboard sound is good enough. I don't even remember buying a dedicated sound card for the past 6 years.

Processor is to process raw data. Speed in GHZ is how fast it can complete a task. Cores (2, 4, 6, 8 and beyond) is how many tasks it can compute at one time. Take note that this is highly software dependent. 6 cores does not mean 3 times faster than 2 cores.

Ram = spare space to store data. Ideally, you should be looking at a minimum of 4GB for the system ram and 1GB for the video memory.

Additional stuff like TV tuners, Video editing cards, Dedicated sound cards, etc.

Monitors, just buy those from reputable brands such as Samsung and Philips.

As far as power supplies go, I have 500W for my Phenom X6 1100T, 480W for the Phenom X4 940 and 200W for the Athlon X2 3600+. It depends on how much hardware you want to cram into the case. Here's a calculator to help you: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

My final advise: If you don't understand the parts that make up a computer, just buy a Dell/HP/Lenovo/Acer-sort of PC. It'll really make your life easier.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
(Mon Apr 11, 2011 05:17 PM)lightning64 Wrote:  -Do casings have something of importance other than being pretty?
-Sound cards seem default...
-What is the purpose of a processor itself... and its differences from each other...
-When looking at numbers(1gb of video card, 4GB of ram) are they the ones REALLY counting...?
-There are other slots in the motherboard that isnt been using... what are those components missing....?
-Ermmm... monitors....
-Bigger numbers? 500 watts... or 1k watts of voltage... why am i picking?

1) Yes. A lot. A simple system can be placed with no problem into a cheap casing. But the higher-end, more powerful the components are, the better the casing has to be. better in what way? Ventilation, clearance for parts, silence, build quality etc.

Also, some cases make it easier to put the system together and to maintain it, coming with tool-less fixtures, dust filters and other good stuff.

2) Integrated audio has come to the point where it doesn't make sense to buy a dedicated sound card unless your audio gear happens to be very high end.

3)The processor is the brain. It handles all instructions and tasks and computes stuff. Without this, your PC isn't a PC.

In general, higher GHz, higher speed of processing.
More cores, better ability to multitask (Like launching all sorts of apps at one go)

4)Numbers matter, but it needs to be the right numbers.

More video card RAM is good, but certain cards come with more memory that is slower, or less memory that is faster.
Higher HDD RPM, the faster the HDD can read, write and access data but at the cost of increased heat production.
More system RAM allows you to multitask more, have more processes open and such. It may also increase system responsiveness.

5) Don't worry about the unused expansion slots. Those are there in the event that you need to, say, add a Wireless card or storage device, those slots are there for that purpose.

6) What you want to worry about is resolution, not size. It's usually best to go for 24", Full HD monitors if you can. But 22" 1680x1050 monitors are also okay.

7) The numbers matter, but what matters more is the brand/model. Because it's no use buying some Made in China crap that says 500W. It won't do 300W safely, let alone 500W. The voltages produced will probably by on the dangerous side, ripple (fluctuations in voltage) will be insanely borderline or over allowed specifications and efficiency is meh. For most systems with a single graphics card, a good quality 450W-550W can power it no problem. Good quality means from a reputable manufacturer like Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake etc. Do some research on the different components before committing to a purchase.

Classified Data: Personnel Records
#247A
Valcien, Xynder
Division: 24th Special Infantry
Species: Northern Sergal
Eye colour: Green (Left) Red (Right)
Fur colour: Black / White
#247B
Species: Arctic Wolf-Nightfire Dragon hybrid (An Arctic Night Drolf, if you will)
Eye colour: Red (Left) Green (Right)
Fur colour: White / Black

Weapons of choice: High-caliber pistols, Heavy Rifles, Shotguns

[Image: 76561197995964009.png]
Find all posts by this user
Tue Apr 19, 2011, 07:42 PM
Moderator's Notice : Thread was being taken way off topic. Carcinogenic tumor posts have been eviscerated and transferred to their own petri dish to continue its growth (discussion): http://www.anthroasia.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=1780
Fri Apr 29, 2011, 08:34 AM
Here's an interesting read about comparing processors: http://lifehacker.com/#!5796846/why-cloc...processors

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Mon May 02, 2011, 12:47 AM
Yes one thing i forgotten to mention when selecting a processer is not the Ghz but the FSB too thats is why when i buy my laptop i look at the FSB then the clock speed Tongue

In layman terms is Ghz is like owing a giant water tank where to flood the water into a pipe. The pipe is the FSB where, when you pour too much water in a narrow pipe it will have bottleneck meaning not too much water can flow down the pipe therefore owing a larger and much wider pipe enables you to pour much more water down the pipe.

So my laptop has a fix 1066 MHz pipe and a 2.53 dual watertank Tongue
More simple terms- *FSB - Means Front Side Bus . See the word bus Tongue Bigger bus more people can be transported at once. Ghz means Horsepower so you need a faster computer bulid you need a bigger bus and horsepower to arrive to the destination. Worried

Just a shy wolf.
Mon May 02, 2011, 02:06 AM
You can also check out this article on SSDs and what tangible benefits it offers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best...880-2.html

What you, the reader, should take away is that the fastest isn't always the greatest (unless cost is not a factor). Your aim should be to reduce as much bottlenecks as possible to ensure data flows freely and unhindered.

Hollud. Simply, horse.
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:46 PM
(Mon May 02, 2011 02:06 AM)Hollud Wrote:  You can also check out this article on SSDs and what tangible benefits it offers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best...880-2.html

What you, the reader, should take away is that the fastest isn't always the greatest (unless cost is not a factor). Your aim should be to reduce as much bottlenecks as possible to ensure data flows freely and unhindered.

The cheaper SSDs can do wonders to the general performance of the system, though the capacity dictates where the SSD is used, and if there are any other drives used in conjunction with it.

#247A
Valcien, Xynder
#247B
Species: Arctic Wolf-Nightfire Dragon hybrid (An Arctic Night Drolf, if you will)

Fri May 06, 2011, 08:40 PM
so far i have seen SSD being use to boot the OS install in it the storage part is just a normal hard drive. Tongue

Just a shy wolf.
Wed May 18, 2011, 10:14 PM
(Fri May 06, 2011 08:40 PM)BraveWolf BraveHeart Wrote:  so far i have seen SSD being use to boot the OS install in it the storage part is just a normal hard drive. Tongue

Decent SSDs are now cheap enough for most people to use SSDs as boot drives. Unfortunately, I don't have space for two drives in my system so I have to make do with a measly 60GB for everything on my laptop sans portable hard drive. If you have the dough and everything else in the rig looks a-ok then I highly recommend an SSD.

#247A
Valcien, Xynder
#247B

Thu May 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
(Wed May 18, 2011 10:14 PM)Xynder Valcien Wrote:  Decent SSDs are now cheap enough for most people to use SSDs as boot drives. Unfortunately, I don't have space for two drives in my system so I have to make do with a measly 60GB for everything on my laptop sans portable hard drive. If you have the dough and everything else in the rig looks a-ok then I highly recommend an SSD.

Another slightly more affordable option exists in the form of the Seagate Momentus XT. It combines a 7200 RPM 500GB hard disk with a 4GB SSD cache buffer. There is a drive-level algorithm that detects the most frequently used files and caches them to the SSD portion of the drive, allowing for speedy access. You can check out Momentus XT demos on YouTube for an example as a visual reference.

I would get one, but it is a little more pricey for its size (about double the price for an equivalent 500GB 7200 RPM drive, last I checked).

Hollud. Simply, horse.