Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Backups!
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
RE: Backups!
(Thu Mar 31, 2011 04:54 PM)Hollud Wrote:  I need a Drobo.

[Image: 091125-drobopro-01.jpg]

My god, they make one *that* big now? *drools* I still remember when it first came out, and Patrick Norton managed to break one while demo'ing it on DL.TV. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Wait, it's World Backup Day? o.O and I was just preparing to clean up my laptop to reinstall Windows.

Stuff on Vimeo

http://www.vimeo.com/user2603417
Find all posts by this user
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:45 AM
(Thu Mar 31, 2011 04:24 PM)lightning64 Wrote:  Whats the point of Mac's OS if its LIKE windows? >.>???

Because iMacs actually look nice, but the OS just isn't windows!
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:48 AM
Wait.... if it's International BackUp Day...

Does that mean all the computers around will trigger its own BSOD? o3o

[Image: 76561198029946472.png]
Intolerance to stupidity and low-level logic...
Don't try me as you were warned
Site Visits :
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: Fri Apr 01, 2011 02:30 PM by Krado.)
(Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 PM)Hollud Wrote:  I keep an open mind to what technology is available. And so far, nothing comes close to what Apple does, in terms of UI and usability. I've tried the Backup function on Windows 7 and while it is bundled in, using it requires a bit of technical know-how. Using any interface designed and constructed by Apple is practical and a no-brainer. Other UIs require quite a bit of futzing around, so geek knowledge is a requirement. If there's one reason why Apple catches on so much better than the rest, it's because of this.

People keep harping on Apple on being a "closed environment" as compared to other interfaces. One example is the difference between the UI on iOS versus Android. Truth is, I believe a closed working environment (in some scenarios) can produce better quality than competitors. Apple is the epitome of such an example. While Android is "open source" (read this), I've been frustrated with the jumps from Android 1.x to Android 2.x and the fact that the device I bought less than a year ago won't run the latest and greatest Android because they can't (or so they say). Take my sister's Motorola Charm; great device (save for the horrid screen and keyboard), but Motorola won't let it update to the latest Android 2.x. Nor will my HTC Magic update from 1.5 to 1.6 because HTC won't allow me to. Rooted devices run them just dandy, so why can't official builds?

I digress.

Apple fan-wank? Maybe. But I guess most people often overlook the innovation that Apple stimulates in the industry. Would you even have Android if it weren't for iOS? Would you even have Windows 7 if it wasn't for Mac OS X? Would you have pretty awesome looking laptops (technically, most still look like crap) if the clamshell iBook and the Titanium PowerBook G4 didn't set the standard? Would PC designs have changed (technically, they haven't) if the classic Bondi Blue iMac didn't prove that it was possible? What Apple does is sets the trends for the rest of the industry to follow, and that is something that most other companies can never accomplish.

I keep an open mind, although I'm fairly sure some of you will accuse of not doing so. Well, I've used Mac OS since the 9.x days, although my earliest experience was with a Macintosh Classic II. I have a Windows 7 Boot Camp partition, but I'm equally at home with DOS 6.11, Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP and Vista. I've dabbled in Red Hat Linux 6.0, Yellowdog, Backtrack and Ubuntu, and I've run both DD-WRT and OpenWRT before on my router. I use a Windows Phone 7, but I have used a Nokia 3210, 3310, 3330, 6610, E51, E61 and E72, LG S5000, HP iPaq rw6828, HTC Magic, Motorola StarTAC X, T190 and V60i, Samsung E720, Sony Ericsson M600i and a Sendo S200. I don't have a modern console, but I've played on a NES, Sega Saturn and PS1 before. So, please. If you think I'm exercising bias due to a lack of experience, do let me know. As far as I am concerned, my preferences are not based solely on not choosing market leaders and going with the underdog. I choose based on what's right for YOU, not for me. I let what experiences I've learned so far translate into what's right for you, the consumer, so that you can make smarter purchasing decisions.

I've run this train pretty well off track, but I'll close it off by saying that so far, only Apple has shown that it has done backups right. From Mac OS X to iOS, they are doing it as a transparent layer that doesn't interfere with what you are doing. If Android users are going to go all "sync to the cloud" with me, I recommend you look into the whole Sidekick and T-Mobile debacle. Also, if there is an App to backup your Android device, that doesn't count. It's a solution to a problem that never should have happened in the first place That means that an option to backup never did exist, which never was an issue with iOS (backups of your device are created when you sync with iTunes, both in Mac and Windows platforms - and if you run a backup of your entire computer, then you have backups of the backups for your iOS device).

Any questions?

[Image: macmarket.jpg]

Ok, I see your problem.

Fri Apr 01, 2011, 02:50 PM
(Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 PM)cartoonwolf Wrote:  This public service announcement has been brought to you by someone who's had more hard drive failures than he cares to remember -_-

This reply is posted by someone who buys hard drives every three years.

I put my money Western Digital.

Speaking of which, does anyone here still remember the last time you used an optical drive for backups? Tongue

Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:25 PM
(Fri Apr 01, 2011 02:50 PM)Krado Wrote:  Speaking of which, does anyone here still remember the last time you used an optical drive for backups? Tongue
I still do. I'd be damned if I would depend on magnetic particles to back up my precious Top Gear collection Tongue
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:45 PM
(Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:25 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  
(Fri Apr 01, 2011 02:50 PM)Krado Wrote:  Speaking of which, does anyone here still remember the last time you used an optical drive for backups? Tongue
I still do. I'd be damned if I would depend on magnetic particles to back up my precious Top Gear collection Tongue

Heh, I have deleted most of mine away. Must not get into the habit of hoarding. .

The bulk of my hdd is filled by music and project videos. 1080p is uber taxing.

Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:47 PM
Don't forget that penguins eat apples which fell out from windows Tongue

And on that bombshell, NASSSSS !

-CTW
"Sony products are wolf-friendly Smile."
Find all posts by this user
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 AM by Hollud.)
(Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 PM)Krado Wrote:  Ok, I see your problem.

Vague lion is vague. Response to statement requires clarification.

(Thu Mar 31, 2011 07:52 PM)cartoonwolf Wrote:  My god, they make one *that* big now? *drools* I still remember when it first came out, and Patrick Norton managed to break one while demo'ing it on DL.TV. Tongue

Drobo has split into both consumer-grade and enterprise-grade devices now. You can check out their web site, but the main draw towards Drobo is the ease of use and the technology to lump drives together, unlike traditional RAID. As a backup solution, this really seems to take the cake among all the other solutions in the market that still relies on traditional RAID (and its limitations).

If you are planning to upgrade to Windows 8, you might want to check out one of the proposed features, History Vault.

Hollud. Simply, horse.