Poll: Which digital medium do you prefer?
Pen Tablet
Pen/Vector Tool
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pen Tablet Vs. Pen/Vector Tool
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: Sun Mar 27, 2011 03:05 PM by ThatFatDrolf.)
Pen Tablet Vs. Pen/Vector Tool
These two mediums are the most well known mediums ever since I started digital artwork on my perspective. To the members in the forum, I would ask you which type of medium do you actually prefer?

========

My Take

I would prefer Pen Tablet. Reasons being that it gives the flow and the movement of a character and an object. Curves can be drawn easily if practice is done continuously. There is of course the pressure sensitivity and also the opacity feature of the pen tablet which can really enhance the lineart/colour.

The disadvantage is that the feel of it with traditional art is lost. It becomes a different thing.

Drawing with a pen tablet =/= Drawing with a pencil

I don't really like pen/vector tool is that it is crisp. A bit too crisp and that when you do it, there is no enjoyment like drawing squiggles or scribbles. A bit too rigid for me...

========

So, once again, what is your take? Vote and post a reason why you like one and dislike the other.

[Image: 76561198029946472.png]
Intolerance to stupidity and low-level logic...
Don't try me as you were warned
Site Visits :
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
RE: Pen Tablet Vs. Pen/Vector Tool
-Almost made a trad-vector style rant XD-

I still prefer tablets over pen tool, pen tool doesn't have the "Natural" look as hand worked/tablet does.

[Image: 328940b11fa3e.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 10:44 PM
RE: Pen Tablet Vs. Pen/Vector Tool
Hehe... ye olde raster vs vector debate...

lightning64 Wrote:-Almost made a trad-vector style rant XD-
Here I'll do it for you! Big smile

My preference: BOTH!

To me, it's not about liking or disliking one or the other. They each serve a purpose and it really depends on how you want your art to look and how the end result is gonna be used. That being said...

For super-clean ink lines and smooth colors, I use vector. For everything else I use raster. It's not uncommon for me to combine them (e.g. draw in vector, then export for coloring in Photoshop).

BTW, vector doesn't always have to involve hours of tedious node-pulling with the pen tool. I use Inkscape and I love its calligraphy tool... it behaves just like the default Photoshop brush (minus the opacity)... not rigid at all. And you get the added bonus of being able to trim, erase, and otherwise tweak every nuance of each individual stroke (including line weights!) without pulling a single node. I'd say my vector inking looks better than my real-life ink work (involving teeny tiny brushes and a bottle of India ink that I occasionally knock over...!)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user