Thread Rating:
  • 205 Votes - 2.95 Average
Inception (aka Secret Agent Psychonaut’s Eleven)
Wed Jul 21, 2010, 10:55 AM
Inception (aka Secret Agent Psychonaut’s Eleven)
>> Saw it yesterday.

Here's my review/article: http://mussawyr.livejournal.com/391099.html

Let the fanwank discussion begin!

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wed Jul 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
RE: Inception (aka Secret Agent Psychonaut’s Eleven)
The Matrix showed us how deep the rabbit hole will go ...

Inception showed us how deep the rabbit hole ...
... within the rabbit hole ...
... within the rabbit hole ...
... within the rabbit hole will go.

This movie certainly is the rare "once-every-decade" genre-defining brilliance on the big screen.
Its been years since I last watched a movie that required me to think as the film plays.
Fri Jul 23, 2010, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:03 AM by nightPhaser.)
>> I'm a bit curious to know what thoughts you guys have on how the different minds operating within the "host" dreamer interact inside the dreams, and how much influence do they have on it.

(I'm biased toward a sort of "telepathic matrix" sort of system, where the dream is shared, but the host puts more of him/herself into it and exerts the primary influence, though a subject may be herded into a custom, controlled maze for the job to happen.)

Ariadne seems to be able to warp things willy-nilly during her, erm, Tutorial Level (Clone and Rotate, girl? What software you been using? XD) though it ends up being rather bad for her.

>> On a related note, a short film that went around for while some time ago, about creating a world:

World Builder

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Fri Jul 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
Actually, that is one thing that has been buggering about in my mind lately: How do they share dreams?
From what we see with the briefcase device, it seems more like a narcotic dosage mechanism. Seems Nolan sneakily swept the device's details under the rug right under our noses.
Sat Jul 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
Loved the entire movie.

One thing's still bugging me, though: The end of the movie. Did that totem really fall?

[Image: 76561198002568946.png]

For I am the Darkness...
Sun Jul 25, 2010, 11:36 AM
(Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:39 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  Actually, that is one thing that has been buggering about in my mind lately: How do they share dreams? From what we see with the briefcase device, it seems more like a narcotic dosage mechanism. Seems Nolan sneakily swept the device's details under the rug right under our noses.

>> This is where I start shifting Inception off from hard Sci-Fi and more into Psychological Thriller/Caper flick. It's a convenient Mystery Tech to get the story going, and as it is, the extra-special rules of this particular sandbox world are what drives the story of the whole film anyway.

Like I said, I'm leaning on some sort of pseudo-scientific telepathy between them, induced by special neurochemicals.

(Sat Jul 24, 2010 07:59 PM)DJAtomika Wrote:  One thing's still bugging me, though: The end of the movie. Did that totem really fall?

>> If you left the movie running longer, how long would you have waited to see if it fell? What if you thought it would never fall, picked it up, and killed yourself to get out of the dream... except that the totem would've actually fallen seconds after you "gave up" and picked it up, and you end up exiting "real life"?

I guess that's my rationale for not showing if it fell or not, and Cobb didn't seem to care at that point, either.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Sun Jul 25, 2010, 11:48 AM
Either that, or Nolan has just served Hollywood a wide open access to profit rape his creation with endless sequels on a silver platter.
Thu Jul 29, 2010, 06:53 AM
The thought did cross my mind that they were leaving an opening for a sequel. After all, Mol makes a very good point that in Cobb's reality he has a big faceless multinational after him and a man who can apparently effortlessly solve his problems. They've certainly left themselves avenues.

And yes it was awesome. LJ review http://eldabion.livejournal.com/164442.html
Find all posts by this user
Wed Aug 04, 2010, 09:27 PM
If you liked Inception, take a gander at this wonderful little thing:

Uncle $crooge in
The Dream of a Lifetime

All the ingredients are there: dreaming rules, kicks, even some pathos and a character arc. I personally thought you could consider it Inception in Duckburg form, and favouring the defenders. =3

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Fri Aug 06, 2010, 01:19 PM
Now that's interesting! Possible plagiarism? Tongue