Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
dragoon86's art thread(Update 27June)
Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:05 PM by Canis Enigmas.)
RE: dragoon86's art thread
You're gonna need to focus on the shading of your characters. These recent works, although incredibly detailed and beautiful, feels ... very flat. Only the RJ trade and the Little Black artwork has some decent shading, but the RJ Trade shading still feels inconsistent.

The other two, unfortunately, are unforgivable considering your skill level Tongue

In the 'Cursed Aluka the Wolf' artwork, I needed to look twice to realise the blade thrust through his leg (thought it was a fur pattern at first Tongue ). Maybe its my LCD screen, but the shadings are really far too faint to have any effect on the artwork.

The 'Dracromar the Gunslinger' artwork is very good with the details and perspectives, the gun's position is accurately depicted. However, it doesn't feel like its really aimed at the viewer as the shading is missing. The character in the artwork has it even worse. There is not enough shading/shadows to highlight the position of his/her arm and the shape of his/her tail. It almost seems like a cardboard cutout of the character Tongue

Hope you don't take offence to my comments, Dragoon. Just felt that you needed some notes in the never ending quest for perfection Winking
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: Thu Dec 10, 2009 01:07 AM by dragoon86.)
(Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  You're gonna need to focus on the shading of your characters. These recent works, although incredibly detailed and beautiful, feels ... very flat. Only the RJ trade and the Little Black artwork has some decent shading, but the RJ Trade shading still feels inconsistent.

The other two, unfortunately, are unforgivable considering your skill level Tongue

In the 'Cursed Aluka the Wolf' artwork, I needed to look twice to realise the blade thrust through his leg (thought it was a fur pattern at first Tongue ). Maybe its my LCD screen, but the shadings are really far too faint to have any effect on the artwork.

The 'Dracromar the Gunslinger' artwork is very good with the details and perspectives, the gun's position is accurately depicted. However, it doesn't feel like its really aimed at the viewer as the shading is missing. The character in the artwork has it even worse. There is not enough shading/shadows to highlight the position of his/her arm and the shape of his/her tail. It almost seems like a cardboard cutout of the character Tongue

Hope you don't take offence to my comments, Dragoon. Just felt that you needed some notes in the never ending quest for perfection Winking

none taken... well anyway the dracromar one is still a imcomplete work since i planning to add an additional female character inside so i might improve it later when i have the time...also i am inexperience in colouring guns still Tongue

and also regard to the aluke the wolf...it a last minute reference design to steal a slot for a request before it went full in that wolf forum i always went... it need to be flat coz it will make too complicated for my fellow wolf friend to color my wolf color scheme properly.

for Rj... the shading is "accidental"... so i have no comment Tongue

little black... as long as he look cute is good enough Tongue

anyway i didn't want my character to look too 3D anyway....too dark shading feel.....too evil Tongue

Dragon is my Life & Obsession
[Image: Loretta-s170anthro.jpg] [Image: foxy1-av-anthro.jpg] [Image: Relika-170.jpg] [Image: 1563728.png]
A BLAZBLUE:CS2 Player (A-11)
Proud to be a Dragon!!
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 09:37 PM
listen to this while i draw
BlazBlue - Condemnation Wings [Tsubaki Theme]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZukz8CzYB0

This round i focusing more on drawing the background part
& finally i raise my brush tool to draw a handmade background instead of a cheap abstract background for a change xD
featuring characters like Alyse, Dracromar and Little Black,
somehow Little Black seem to be the center of attention for some unknown reason
anyway here:
[Image: group.jpg]

[Image: Loretta-s170anthro.jpg] [Image: foxy1-av-anthro.jpg] [Image: Relika-170.jpg] [Image: 1563728.png]
Proud to be a Dragon!!
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 11:45 PM
Good Grief! When I mentioned you needed to practice shading ...

I didn't mean for you to turn the whole thing black!! XD

Really nice work! You're getting there with the shades that will give your character some dimensions Winking
Sun Dec 27, 2009, 12:57 AM
Happy late Christmas XD
Bayonetta - You May Call Me Father
http://www.esnips.com/doc/5ecfa71b-6da6-...-Me-Father

lol... use a more american cartoon style of shading on this one....
somehow it turn out better than i thought
and...and... there should be a way to stop the mechanism from spinning round and round on the rock the poor Little black clinch onto...
good luck~ Mercia(the red dragon) in figuring out the stop button XD...
Warning... lava at the bottom xPPP

[Image: bbadfd1.jpg]

Proud to be a Dragon!!
Sat Feb 06, 2010, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:31 PM by dragoon86.)
lol almost forget about my own thread Tongue
anyway new stuff to put here Tongue
some picture draw a while ago
[Image: th_longtime-final.jpg]

[Image: th_longtime-finalalternate2.jpg]

Recent piece:
[Image: grandwingfinal1100.jpg]

Ref sheet of one of character in the previoius picture:
[Image: Rutia-finalsetting.jpg]

Proud to be a Dragon!!
Mon Feb 08, 2010, 09:24 PM
Rutia's cute! ^_^
Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:43 PM
I don't know what to say or comment ...
Its been years since we had those "two objects" in AA! XD
*is fixated*

I really the design of the dress she's wearing. Unsymmetrical clothin ftw!

I also like the second artwork, the red tones really do speak emotions, however I do have the odd feeling that the character's mood doesn't seem to fit the art style *shrugs*
Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
(Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:43 PM)Canis Enigmas Wrote:  I don't know what to say or comment ...
Its been years since we had those "two objects" in AA! XD
*is fixated*

I really the design of the dress she's wearing. Unsymmetrical clothin ftw!

I also like the second artwork, the red tones really do speak emotions, however I do have the odd feeling that the character's mood doesn't seem to fit the art style *shrugs*
When on earth do animal wear clothing xPPPPPPP at all anyway Tongue

The second artwork is the red colour picture right?So what expression should it wear for this art style?

Proud to be a Dragon!!
Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
[少女病] 慟哭ルクセイン - 虛空に消えるFairy tale
http://www.esnips.com/doc/266c0fea-f4cc-...Fairy-tale

lol draw lot of wolf lately...=w=
coz some ppl ask how her fight pose is... so this is the answer Tongue
love her overall design this time...especially her thigh and her paw Tongue

wonder why King Kazuma(a character in Summer Wars) appeared on the background, maybe she learn her skill from him?? Tongue

anyway... PPPUUUCHHHH YYOOUUU!!!

[Image: punch-FINAL.jpg]

Proud to be a Dragon!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Arda's 2011 Art Thread ThatFatDrolf 21 12,514 Tue Jul 19, 2011 08:11 AM
Last Post: ThatFatDrolf
  Light's Media Thread lightning64 3 3,269 Sat Mar 26, 2011 09:44 PM
Last Post: lightning64
  sakroe's art thread sakroe 29 16,303 Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 PM
Last Post: sakroe