Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Solar Groove [Comments & Supplements]
Sun Oct 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
[split] Solar Groove: The Adventures of Sandokhan and His Motley Crew
[Hello Pyurio, yes, join please! Smile

I see some humor goes into your prose, heh.

Just a weird coincidence but I was going to leave nightPhaserSpiral to create the mystery passenger but, in my head, I was thinking that her species would a reptile type. Strange that you had her be scaley... Smile

And as a SECOND coincidence, I was wondering what Sando would do with the old ship Prometheus and I toyed with the idea of blowing it up. Then Sando would say "Do you know who Prometheus was? He's this guy who brought the gift of flame from the heavens. Well, here's to the fire raining down from the sky!" as the Prometheus crashes and causes a commotion. Heh Smile

I'm going to wait 7 days (or Nov 2) and if there's no new segment from nightPhaserSpiral or a new person, I'd like to add the next segment Smile

BTW, I'm going with a personal rule that whatever gets written is set. You can't change someone else's segment if the person writes something that's not in your plans. Like in Segment 1, nightPhaserSpiral had Roland arrest Sando. But in Segment 2, I had it that Roland was trying to give him a secret package and intended for Sando to escape. Now I think in your Segment, you're interpreting that Roland planted the 'thing' so Sando will be accused but expected that he'll be killed in the escape. I think. Oh well, I'm going wait to see if there's a new segment first Smile ]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 PM by Pyurio.)
RE: Round Robin furry fiction [sample]
Quote:Just a weird coincidence but I was going to leave nightPhaserSpiral to create the mystery passenger but, in my head, I was thinking that her species would a reptile type. Strange that you had her be scaley...

And as a SECOND coincidence, I was wondering what Sando would do with the old ship Prometheus and I toyed with the idea of blowing it up. Then Sando would say "Do you know who Prometheus was? He's this guy who brought the gift of flame from the heavens. Well, here's to the fire raining down from the sky!" as the Prometheus crashes and causes a commotion. Heh

[Yea, I kinda read your mind when I'm writing that segment. It's Cybermancer stuffs.]

(Sun Oct 26, 2008 08:41 PM)Cindermane Wrote:  [Hello Pyurio, yes, join please! Smile

... you're interpreting that Roland planted the 'thing' so Sando will be accused but expected that he'll be killed in the escape...]

[Where is the passage that imply this? Because, what I am interpreting is that Roland gave Sando the key to his ship so that he can escape. I made him (Roland) treat the whole thing as a game/prank on Sando (I suppose they have kinda hate-love/rival past with each other). Roland also plant transmitter to see where Sando would go, if just for personal curiousity]

[EDIT: I changed my part a bit to make this clearer.]

I'm not good with people
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 03:05 AM
[Woo, that was FAST! Big smile Okay, it's my turn next! Big smile (unless a new person write a segment before I could. which would also be cool Smile )

On both your segments (or the beginning of Pyurio's), I marvel at all the descriptions being written. I read novels, yes, but I read comics too so I just 'see' the surroundings. I'm a bit amazed at the level of detail in prose Smile

Oh and we're not arguing. I LIKE the challenge, or as nightPhaserSpiral puts it 'working around surprises'. That's what I was trying to put across when I wrote that 'personal rule' Segment 1, Segment 2 interpretation thing but nightPhaserSpiral just put it into words more succinctly Smile

Oh, I forgot to say that I still haven't changed the Sando tail whip attack to Sando's betel blinding tactic. THAT I can change because it goes against real life facts (short lynx tails) and I wrote the segment Smile

>>>[Where is the passage that imply this? Because, what I am interpreting is that Roland gave Sando the key to his ship so that he can escape. I made him (Roland) treat the whole thing as a game/prank on Sando (I suppose they have kinda hate-love/rival past with each other). Roland also plant transmitter to see where Sando would go, if just for personal curiousity]

Oh, I read your segment as Roland wanting Sando killed while escaping because he's so serious even when he's alone. I get that he has to be strict in front of the officers to keep face but alone, I figured he would have said or thought something along the lines of 'good, you're safe, Sando'. Then him placing the transmitter on Sando threw me off because the guards knew about it. That meant he wanted Sando found/captured/punished instead of wanting him to escape.

Er, that part (guards knowing about the transmitter) seems to have disappeared from your segment. Did you edit that out from the original post? I can't be imagining things! Yikes!

------------

Just specific story comments :

-I thought 'Nahas', when it was first used, was a term like 'darling' or something, Tongue Since Brigit was using Celtic terms, I thought Nahas was another foreign expression, heheh my mistake.
-nightPhaserSpiral, now what Nahas is set as reptilian (but it's still not specific as to what! Tongue ), I just want to know what your original idea was for her race. Not that I want to change it or anything. I'm just curious Smile
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:32 AM by Pyurio.)
Quote:No need to argue much, guys, I like having to work around surprises like that.

[No one is arguing here. We are just having some civil discussion with tea and crumpets. Like i said before, somehow ... I sounds like grouchy old man when posting stuff here.]

Quote:Aside, I like the notion of Roland having this unstable love-hate thing going with Sandokhan that even we aren't sure about.

[In Roland's facebook page you can see his relationship status is "It's complicated" with a picture of Sando beside it.]

Quote:[Then him placing the transmitter on Sando threw me off because the guards knew about it.

Er, that part (guards knowing about the transmitter) seems to have disappeared from your segment. Did you edit that out from the original post? I can't be imagining things! Yikes!]

[You are full of imagination. Even in the original, the guard doesn't know about the transmitter (If they do, they would run to Roland's ship instead of Sando's original ship). Rolando opened the map after his inferiors left his desk, he's alone when he did that.]

Quote:Okay, it's my turn next! (unless a new person write a segment before I could. which would also be cool)

[Back when I do CS like this, people put [placeholder] to indicate that they are currently composing the next part. The [placeholder] can be ignored if the next poster failed to post his part after an agreed length of time (ussualy between 24 to 72 hours)]

Quote:Oh, I forgot to say that I still haven't changed the Sando tail whip attack to Sando's betel blinding tactic.

[Some species of Lynx is called "Bobcat" exactly because of their stubby tail.]

I'm not good with people
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 02:40 PM
(Mon Oct 27, 2008 03:05 AM)Cindermane Wrote:  [Woo, that was FAST! Big smile Okay, it's my turn next!

On both your segments (or the beginning of Pyurio's), I marvel at all the descriptions being written.

-I thought 'Nahas', when it was first used, was a term like 'darling' or something, Tongue
-nightPhaserSpiral, now what Nahas is set as reptilian (but it's still not specific as to what! Tongue ), I just want to know what your original idea was for her race.

>> I already had a draft ready over the weekend, but waited a bit since Pyurio wanted in on it. I just had to rewrite certain parts.

I actually tend to write things like a movie script. Focusing on dialogue, scene and gesture.

Oh, and call me Night. Cool

I wasn't sure about NahaÅ› being a term of endearment either, but I just ran with it. Hah. I suspect it's just a cover name, though. I'm pretty certain she's some form of snake, though throw in any other species in there if you want. *snort*

I planned on her being a female kitten that glows like she's made of Uranium. Go figure. LOL!

>> While waiting for your addition, allow me a little interlude here. It's not a submission to the story. Thought about it this morning, and felt like sharing.

A note on shields

In early field differential research, it was found that engines using the effect generates regions in the space around them that disrupts space-time field lines (called "manifolds"). This effect was called "manifold shearing" since they cause stretching and dislocation of manifolds.

[Image: shield_neutral.png] [Image: shield_internal.png] [Image: shield_bound.png]
(1)Neutral manifold (2)Internal shear (3)Boundary shear

Attempts were made to turn these regions into a form of shielding. However, the regions obtained were too small and unstable to be useful. It wasn't until "cooperation" with the witches that the development of magic-based energy resonators allowed better control over the size and stability of shear regions.

These regions have the property of absorbing various forms of energy from objects within them to "correct" the warped manifolds to a neutral state. Projectiles passing the region are either deflected due to altered space-time geometry, or have their energy absorbed and are slowed down drastically (or in the case of energy projectiles, nullified).

An initial attempt of directly warping the field containing the engine (internal shearing) resulted in severe reactions from living things within it, and some experiments claimed the lives of test subjects. Later, the boundary shear system was developed and continues to be a popular shielding system for modern ships due to its cost-effectiveness and sufficient stopping power.

However, these shields do not protect against ramming, magic-psi attacks or weapons that directly manipulate manifolds.

The "strength" of the shield depends on both the size of the sheared region and the degree of the shearing. The strength of shields is directly proportional to the energy put into maintaining the bondary shear.

[Image: shield_bound.png] [Image: shield_boundstrong.png]
(1)Weak shear (2)Strong shear

Guns on a ship equipped with such shields are fitted with boundary interference generators that quickly open and close temporary "holes" for gunfire to pass through. Frequencies used to disrupt the shields are often encrypted and are unique to every ship's engine. However, in larger ships, the main guns are often powerful enough that the shields barely diminish their output so they do not have interference generators. (E.g. Imperial Cronos-class cruisers make use of both high-energy plasma bolts and manifold compression beams. They still use shear shields to protect against minor weapon fire.)

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Mon Oct 27, 2008, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: Mon Oct 27, 2008 08:50 PM by Pyurio.)
[Also, I have something on mind to explain why NahaÅ› is so cold (and this is also linked to why she is different from other witches) and the fate of Vorca's dinner, but I'll save it for later, if you havent touched on that.]

I'm not good with people
Tue Oct 28, 2008, 08:59 AM
>> I have a feeling Vorca is a bit disappointed he had to let go of a meal, though he knows there are probably tastier-looking ones on Olympias.

I apologize for calling out an argument when there wasn't any. I'm a mite sensitive, sometimes. ^_^;

Still can't figure out how a bird-person like Skuld could grin, though I edited that part in my entry slightly.

Cindermane: How do you usually go about compiling these things? Is there an editor/proofreader involved?

Anyway, go on ahead, I have a couple of things to do at the mo'. Smile

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Tue Oct 28, 2008, 09:55 AM
[So it's my turn.]

[Meanwhile. I compiled a small list of scientific and common term:

Teleportation - Popping
Teleport - Pop in / Pop out
Astroplane - Starship
Aeroplane - Airship
Psychokinesis - Magic
Psychokinetor - Witch/Wizard
Psychokinetic/Psychopotential Energy - Mana
Hyperdimensional Portal - Wormhole
Momentum Compensator - Damper]

I'm not good with people
Wed Oct 29, 2008, 05:04 AM
[Pyurio - That was quick! On a Halloween break? I'm curious now on your idea of how Vorca would have dealt with the trooper if I hadn't jettisoned him. But I'm only asking if it's an idea that can't be used sometime in a future segment (Vorca might find another captive and you might be able to use that idea again).

I'm going to try and keep up with the science fiction you and Night seem to generate at an amazing rate. The only space sci-fi I watch is Battlestar Galatica. (Torchwood doesn't leave the atmosphere.)

>>>"Hey I knew this place." Vorca commented.
LOL!

Night -
>>>Cindermane: How do you usually go about compiling these things? Is there an editor/proofreader involved?

My friends and I just email an MS Word file back and forth. We haven't reached a point where there's an 'end' or a breather where we could make the story more coherent. You have any ideas?

>>>Anyway, go on ahead, I have a couple of things to do at the mo'.

You still mean me, right? You're saying I'm next up to bat?]
Wed Oct 29, 2008, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:20 PM by Pyurio.)
[The following is what I propose for the nature of Slipstream:]

[Slipstream does fasten things up as one no longer need to spend years to reach another system. But it is still not an instant popping. You still get to spend a day or two before you reach your destination. Sometimes it can even took up to a month like in the case of traveling from one end of galaxy to the other. Of course no one ever did that, most people transit several times to trispace in case of such long journey]

[From technical point of view slipstream is also very save, due to the nature of hyperspace it is virtually impossible for two objects to appear in the same "stream" (unless they entered the same wormhole), let alone crash. No information can pass through it however (so much for interplanetary internetz). It's basically a space deader than outer space.]

[And the Empire:]

[The Empire of the Anthropoprogenies, or the Empire for short is an interstellar entity spanning almost a hundred of stars. It was founded first at least two thousand years ago by the true ancestors of thinking kind who are no longer here by the time this story takes place. The depiction of them varies, but most popular one is that of a being without mane, without fur, and without muzzle. The Empire is now led by the triumvirate that comprise the Archistrategos from the Milicia, the Archidascalos from the Intelegencia, and the Archimagos from the Ecclecia. Despite its name, now, the Empire is more like a federation of systems with a (more or less) democratic system.]

[Yeah ... the true ancestors are our descendants (Anthropoprogeny basically means "Descendants of Human") ... in the future (that is gone now, or so people think). I felt like that there gotta be some reason, however flimsy, why the species and the culture of the animal people are terestrial. Hold me back when you feel I'm doting too much. I get overboard on this kinda things sometimes.]

I'm not good with people

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Solar Groove: The Adventures of Sandokhan and His Motley Crew nightPhaser 29 18,813 Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 PM
Last Post: Pyurio