Thread Rating:
  • 223 Votes - 2.83 Average
Anthrocon 2008
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 01:13 AM
Anthrocon 2008
Hi guys, I'll just post a little writeup on my trip to Anthrocon 2008. Pictures will come later as I'm still sorting through those and some of the photos turned out to be really crappy.

Without further ado, here's a silly dragon's AC 2008 Con Report:

---

Okay, I guess I'm reasonably recovered now from the con to start writing about this year's trip to Anthrocon 2008. I had to seize a last minute window of opportunity to get there, and in retrospect, I'm glad I did.

First of all, part of the trip there was horrendous. I'm a fidgety type of person, and I like some space to move about and stretch. As it turned out, the Narita to MSP part of the trip was fully booked and it was 12 hours of peer hell that sapped every bit of my patience out of me. A fat lady next to me kept jabbing me in the shoulder for the arm rest counting her fat wads of dollar bills, and another lady on the other side of me kept giving me the evil eye whenever I adjusted myself in the seat to massage my numb thighs. Worst still, the backrest was jammed in the upright position and I couldn't lean back at all. Fortunately, that was only that particular segment that was sucked, and the others were much more tolerable. I just wish they could fly A330s across the Pacific. In flight entertainment and lots of extra leg room rocks! For the uninitiated, there is roughly 24 hours worth of flying/airports to get to the con, and probably 2 security checks.

I finally arrived in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night. Caught the Express Shuttle to the Omni hotel, got stuck in a traffic jam briefly due to the game that was going on and finally slumped into my hotel room, exhausted. They messed up my reservation actually. They're supposed to give me 2 Doubles Bed but I wounded up with a single King Bed. It turned out to be a blessing later as I managed to cling onto it when I supposed to switch to a small Queen Bed room.

Wednesday was a strange blend of mundane people and furs at the con. There was another convention right before Anthrocon, and the lobby was packed with throngs of people and looks of bewilderment. I wanted to volunteer to help load up the trucks, but I missed the first part. Fortunately though, I did get my chance to help with the unloading, and I bumped into a few familiar faces too during it. The rest of the day was more meetups and having fun with friends, before my jet lag caught up with me once again and I had to rest fairly early.

Thursday was when the bulk of the people turned up at the con, and everybody clamored for the pre-registration and registration lines, filling up the bulk of the 3rd floor of the Westin hotel. I have a rare (at least in the US) last name, and my queue line was very short. I also took the opportunity to get some nice goodies from Uncle Kage, and I presented him with a nice "gold bar" of sake. I must admit I'm not much of an alcohol drinker, and he enjoys it! Much of the rest of the day was hanging out with more folks at the Zoo, and briefly getting caught in the rain when we're at the Steel City Diner.

Friday is when everything got busy. The queue at the start of the Dealer Room/Artist Alley was insanely long and I gave up on that to just hang around elsewhere. Eventually though, it dispersed into the convention hall and I managed to get inside, and be a good consumer and buy loads of stuff for folks back home. It was Uncle Kage's Story Hour in the evening, and it was hilarious as usual. If you haven't heard yet, go and buy Uncle Kage Story Hour DVDs now or get to a con!

Saturday was awesome, especially with the events lined up for the day. I took videos and photos during the fursuit parade, where they broke last year's record easily, and the day ended with a really nice trio of Masquerade, 2's Rant and the Improvised Comedy events in a chain. I had not laughed that hard in a long time, and my stomach was hurting by the time I got back to the hotel. I also bumped into Kodi, who was in Singapore a couple of months ago.

Sunday had me picking up the last pieces of con swag. I didn't get much for myself really this year, but what little I had I like a lot. The night ended with a huge party over at Buca di Beppo with about 30 other furs. The food was great, and the half pound meatballs made me drool. It was a little far away from the main buzz of the fur con, but the walk there was certainly worth it. Sadly though, I had to retire early for the night to get my packing stuff, and I had stuff strewn all over my room. I have also lost the UP arrow key on my laptop somehow during its stay in the hotel room, and that was annoying as the laptop was on loan. I'll need to get it replaced later this month before I return it.

And sadly, my trip at AC 08 ended on Monday. Took the Express Shuttle again back to the airport, got a taste of the incredibly over sauced Chinese food served at "Wok and Grill". I thought the food here was bad enough, but that almost killed my tongue. Anyway, it was my last meal in Pittsburgh and I soon returned to the future. I got back home very early Wednesday morning, and back into this hot humid tropical environment... where I can begin to plan for my next trip to the next fur con.

Really great con, it's massive and sprawled over such a wide area. But hey, big is best! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 08:37 AM
RE: Anthrocon 2008
Awr... damn. I wish I could be in a Con..
The only con I went was GACC in Malacca.
Good for you~

[Image: snowrq1.gif]

Yes, I'm a snark. Sue me.
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 10:44 PM
>> That was a very nice read, DL. Big thanks.

I dub thee AnthroAsia's Overseas Conference Correspondent (AnthroCon) from now on. Here's your notepad, pen and reporter hat. Try not to get involved in film noir situations, okay? Big smile

*puffs a cigar like Shoe*

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:35 PM
*salute* can't wait to see you again during out next meet.

anyway... David, you're lucky compared to me, never been to a con ever! and it's not as though i can go to 1 anytime soon. ^.^ but we all can't have equal opportunities can we?

i wonder if SEA can have a con like that.

Fursuiter, fox, friendly, freaky,

so why isn't my name "Fee" but "Vee"?

must be cause i can't think of words that start with V
Find all posts by this user
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 01:10 AM
nightPhaserSpiral Wrote:>> That was a very nice read, DL. Big thanks.

I dub thee AnthroAsia's Overseas Conference Correspondent (AnthroCon) from now on. Here's your notepad, pen and reporter hat. Try not to get involved in film noir situations, okay? Big smile

*puffs a cigar like Shoe*

Wait a minute, I'm supposed to be undercover! Thinking
Sat Jul 05, 2008, 08:53 AM
veemaster Wrote:*salute* can't wait to see you again during out next meet.

anyway... David, you're lucky compared to me, never been to a con ever! and it's not as though i can go to 1 anytime soon. ^.^ but we all can't have equal opportunities can we?

i wonder if SEA can have a con like that.

The only con that ever happened in Asia would be in Taiwan.
And if you're hoping that it'll happen in SEA... well, keep hoping. I doubt it's gonna ever happen. I've already had this discussion with a couple of furs residing in M'sia about it.

PS : The Con that I've attended is not really a fur con, but more like an anime con. Nothing too special, only that I met another fur there, that's all.

Tue Jul 08, 2008, 08:58 PM
David Snow Wrote:The only con that ever happened in Asia would be in Taiwan.

now now... there's japan's furcons too you know...
http://www.transfur.jp/

there's another one, just need to find it.

of course... nobody but japanese goes to them cause... well... it's in japanese ^.^

there ARE quite a bit of japanese furs too.

Fursuiter, fox, friendly, freaky,

so why isn't my name "Fee" but "Vee"?

must be cause i can't think of words that start with V
Find all posts by this user
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 09:34 AM
Okay folks, I've uploaded the pictures that I have taken from Anthrocon 2008 to Photobucket.

You may access them via this link: http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/mm434...on%202008/

The guest password is just Anthrocon

Some of the photos are really crappy though, and I haven't went through and rotate some of the others. But have fun browsing!
Wed Jul 09, 2008, 06:38 PM
Nuuuuu! Now I'm jealous.. ><

How much did everything cost altogether?

Thu Jul 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
David Snow Wrote:Nuuuuu! Now I'm jealous.. ><

How much did everything cost altogether?

It's about the same as last year, look at the http://www.anthroasia.com/forums/showthr...25#pid8225 post. About $4K SGD should be more than adequate for everything, with plenty of buffer room for a suitcase load of stuff that you can buy at the con and any emergencies.

The air fare cost a bit more this time, so did the hotel, but the USD dollar is somewhat weaker than last year, so it kinda evened up.

The main stumbling block is still the air fare, if you can get past that, then you should be good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anthrocon 2011 cartoonwolf 7 5,414 Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:17 AM
Last Post: nightPhaser
  Anthrocon 2010 DarkLurker 13 8,693 Mon Aug 30, 2010 03:20 AM
Last Post: DarkLurker
  anthrocon 2007 lightning64 15 8,617 Sun Aug 05, 2007 07:59 AM
Last Post: Pyurio